GMC typhoons

yes, the Sy/TYs still bring in big $$ for a nice one. A nice one with low miles(<50K) ones will bring in $15K-$20K. I have seen some Tys asking $23K. Not sure what they actually sold for. Check the online auto traders for a better idea. Figure $10K for a rough one $19k-$21K for a nice one.

People ask too much. 13 recently completed auctions on Ebay and 1 sold. $10,900 for a "perfect" 49K white '93 from a Dealer no less.

That seems about right as I was checking them out 2-3 months ago. Those that sold were pretty reasonable. Market is down on most everything these days.

Tom

I've seen some real nice low mileage TYs going for 20+
A real nice one should bring some real decent money

tminer said:
People ask too much. 13 recently completed auctions on Ebay and 1 sold. $10,900 for a "perfect" 49K white '93 from a Dealer no less.

That seems about right as I was checking them out 2-3 months ago. Those that sold were pretty reasonable. Market is down on most everything these days.

Tom

I'll disagree with the statememnt that the maret is down. Look at musclecar prices, they're through the roof. THe value of my GN certainly hasn't gone down in the tine I have owned it. Ebay is a horrible judge of car values, or at least I think so. I'll never list a car on ebay again. Too many people trying to buy a car on the cheap with the intent to "flip" it.

I have a Syclone and Typhoon. Seems as though they still hold a good value...not outstanding, but they have stayed pretty steady over the past couple years.

They are becoming pretty rare, and the good ones are becoming harder and harder to find, and there are little to choose from locally, in most cases.

I don't look at what people ask, but rather what the get. A sell is a sell, whether it is via Ebay or the guy next door. Most vehicles on Ebay are overpriced, and don't sell. At least any that peak my interest. But hey, "opinions vary".

Tom

tminer said:
I don't look at what people ask, but rather what the get. A sell is a sell, whether it is via Ebay or the guy next door. Most vehicles on Ebay are overpriced, and don't sell. At least any that peak my interest. But hey, "opinions vary".

Tom

I did own a 1992 Typhoon #1799....it was stolen from my work in Feb 05.
My insurance company paid me $13,230.oo for it less my $500.oo ded.
It was an all original 50,000 mile, 1 owner with all documentation.

Egay is a last resort for most of the main syty guys. They would rather one of the trucks go to someone that they know before they sale it to someone that will beat it to **** and total it while driving it.

The market for Sy's is kind of like GN's but a little lower. You could have a 10k mile GN and a 10k mile SyTy and the SyTy would be $4-6k lower for no reason at all.

The thing the GN and TT's have on their side is everyone knows about them. How many people know about a SyTy? You still find people that think they have a 3.8 in them or a LT1 Corvette motor :rolleyes:

A few months back I sold a 93 Typhoon on the internet for 22k. It had 20k miles on it and was very clean. I sold it too cheap as it went right away. If its a clean truck you can get a decent price for them

I sold my '92 a few years ago for $8k. Looked decent but if you looked close it had normal wear, and had been hit and repaired in the front and left rear. It had an aftermarket sliding-sunroof, too. It worked and looked stock, but to a collector it was just a big hole in the roof (no SyTys had sunroofs stock).

I look at what people are getting, not what they are asking. No one is getting what they are asking. I think the prices being thrown around here are optimistic. If you got that much for yours great - yours was probably in exceptional condition. I don't think it's representative of the norm though.

I kept my for sale page up for reference:
http://www.turbojimmy.com/ty_for_sale.html

They're cool to look at but I'd never own another one.

Jim

blk00z28 said:
Wanna explain why?

I have lots of times before in here. The truck never ran to my satisfaction. It idled crappy and didn't respond well to mods. The stock turbo is pretty much out of steam at stock boost levels and turning up the boost causes the ECM to kick in and cut fuel. Aftermarket support is weak so it's tough to get a chip that works well. I had an Ultimate in it that was okay but, again, the truck never really ran that great. There was always something wrong with it and even the simplest job turned into hours-long bouts of frustration because of poor engineering. I don't think the 4.3L was a great candidate for forced induction and the liquid-to-air intercooler setup seemed overly complex and trouble prone (I had 2 leaky tanks and a bad pump during my short ownership). I had all of the other common problems with it, too. Propshaft, fuel pump, air pump for the load leveling and seat back flop are the only 4 I recall at the moment.

I was once a pretty active member at syty.net - I complained about all these things there, too.

I bought it thinking it would be a "GN truck". That was a bad assumption and kind of set the tone for the duration of my ownership. Perhaps a lower-mileage example, if left stock, would have served me better.

Jim

My dad has one. Its fun to drive and gets a lot of looks but changing the spark plugs, cap and rotor is a 6 hr job. They suck to work on and break ALOT! With a Buick, you can over boost and it most likely will pop a head gasket. Knock on a Ty and youre lookignat a new short block. You have to pull the entire front clip off to pull the motor out of one of those things. Theyre super expensive to modify.

mygrain said:
My dad has one. Its fun to drive and gets a lot of looks but changing the spark plugs, cap and rotor is a 6 hr job. They suck to work on and break ALOT! With a Buick, you can over boost and it most likely will pop a head gasket. Knock on a Ty and youre lookignat a new short block. You have to pull the entire front clip off to pull the motor out of one of those things. Theyre super expensive to modify.
6hr job????? What do you do, fly to detriot to get the spark plugs and cap and rotor then fly back to install it, at most its a 2 hour job. Doesnt have the space in an engine bay a gn has but is still a pretty cool ride, one that I will never sell or get rid of.

mygrain said:

My friend just bought a 92 Ty a few months ago. 50k miles. Truck is a bout an 8.5 out of 10. He paid $12.5 From a dealer. Totally Stock.

I love that truck, it is a blast to drive! Runs great.

Spark plugs on that thing took me 20 minutes! Jack the truck up on the frame until the tires are about ready to lift off the ground. Pull the plugs through the fender wells!!!

By the way it went 13.84 bone stock!

Ive changed them one time since we've owned it. It took me about 6 hours between fighting with it, thinking about it, drinking a couple beers, scraping a couple knuckles and just being frustrated in general. I think there might have been an oil change in there as well. Im glad youre happy with your Ty. I'll stick to my turbo buicks. :)

A black Typhoon (don't remember if it was a '92 or '93) recetly sold at a special interest auction here for around $17K. It was a 27K mile original that had been well taken care of. Same auction, 1 hr. later TTA #464 that was also very nice and with 27K sold for $15,800. This was a dealer only thing though, and you could tell there wasn't that much interest in them.