GM Trademarks GNX, Grand National Monikers (hope for new cars?)

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
Just a few weeks ago it was discovered that General Motors has reapplied for the trademark on Buick's coveted Riviera nameplate. Now two additional historic Buick monikers have been applied for with the U.S. trademark office; GNX and Grand National. The two nameplates were utilized on Buick's performance models decades ago, but have been in rest since the late 1980's.

The rest of Nick's article is at the link:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/gm-trademarks-gnx-grand-national-monikers-111261/

Wow this sounds really promising.
However I hope this does not mean that GM will go after people that have been making parts and accessories for these cars for the last 20 years...

I just read this today, interesting. What about the deal a couple months back that SLP had bought the GN & GNX names?

Holy good question Batman!
I looked on SLP's site and could not find that information up anymore.
The thought of a FWD GN or GNX based on the new regal, was more than I could bare...

this is nothing new and it doesn't mean that they will be using the nameplates any time soon.. they re-upped the trademark on the Chevelle nameplate a while back, and even tried to sue the band Chevelle to get them to change their name..

Easy guys....They're not going to reincarnate the cars. Just keeping the nameplates alive so they can keep right on rapping the knuckles of anyone trying to sell unlicenced items with the GN/GNX logo.