Gm Timing Cover Gasket Install

PaulRV6

Those of you using the stock GM gasket, what are you doing for sealant on the gasket surface, anything or leaving it dry? I see the raised red surfaces which must be critical sealing areas but what about the other side, do you use anything like a thin film of hylomar?
I am replacing it because of one leak and do not want the same problem again, so need everyones input. Thanks

paul

I used a very thin coat of orange high temp rtv, mostly to hold the gasket in place while installing cover. Doesn't really need it though.
Also, I usually have to "port match" the gasket with an Exacto at the oil ports.

ps: Don't forget the cam button and oil slinger. ;)

Do you use it on both sides or just the side without the red surfaces? Thanks WARPSPEED

paul

Paul, I think gm installs it dry. You have to make sure both surfaces are clean and flat, however.

Wow, I sure hate to take that chance. Just seems like I would need some sealant. Is that the way I should install it then? Dry both sides?

paul

Install it dry but put a little dab of black sensor safe rtv at the bottom in the corner where the oil pan meets the block and timing cover...Make sure you also put thread sealer on the bolts that run into the block water passages...

Paul, you can install it dry, and should be fine,, if you want to use a very thin layer of sealant on both sides, I did, that should work fine too.

I used Indian Head on the cover around the water ports cuz they were eroded a bit. Other than that, dry. My general rule of thumb is if it has a gasket, its dry, if you use silicone, no gasket. If you use both, it just makes for a sloppy mess IMO :p If a tube of silicone didnt dry up between uses, there enuff there for prolly 100 motors w/ gaskets. Thats how little should be used. Just a dap in all the corners of the intake and the front cover. Just my .02