GM Hightech Magazine

Hmmm, I don't know. I thought the car's ok. Mid 10's at 136 with a flat tappet cam, stock rockers, and a stock throttle body? And you can't look at that car and say it's not one hell of a sleeper, and that's the beauty of it! Not everyone wants the newest/biggest ball bearing turbo and Foose wheels too....:D

KB

Hmmm, I don't know. I thought the car's ok. Mid 10's at 136 with a flat tappet cam, stock rockers, and a stock throttle body? And you can't look at that car and say it's not one hell of a sleeper, and that's the beauty of it! Not everyone wants the newest/biggest ball bearing turbo and Foose wheels too....:D

KB

Either the mod list was wrong or the timeslip was wrong......

3/01/99 ring a bell? best issue of gmhtp ever made. i still have it and read it every now and then. i havnt bought an issue of gmhtp in 4 years, even before i sold the gn's. lol i've owned a ford for almost a year and still havnt bought a ford mag nor will i. old habits die hard i guess.

Set the wayback machine to a couple of years ago with this thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/224965-no-turbo-buicks.html

And you could always put your money where your mouth is in GMHTP's forum with this link What car do you want to see in the future at GM High Magazine? ? gmhightechperformance.com Magazine Comments Forum

For years the experts have been saying that the paper enthusiast magazines are going the way of the dinosuar. And I agree. Why spend $12-$20 a year for a subscription when all I need to do is click on the sites for free. I guess beggars really can't be choosey.:redface:

Set the wayback machine to a couple of years ago with this thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/224965-no-turbo-buicks.html

And you could always put your money where your mouth is in GMHTP's forum with this link What car do you want to see in the future at GM High Magazine? ? gmhightechperformance.com Magazine Comments Forum

For years the experts have been saying that the paper enthusiast magazines are going the way of the dinosuar. And I agree. Why spend $12-$20 a year for a subscription when all I need to do is click on the sites for free. I guess beggars really can't be choosey.:redface:

Hmmm, Your set up may be too 'High Tech' for me.

I'm a little more old fashioned and prefer a magazine in my office. :cool:

Attachments

• geek-toilet.jpg
    geek-toilet.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 240
I'm the guy who found Ryan Jensen's car and as far as I know, he is not related to Rick Jensen and knowing the editor is not a requirement for getting your car into any magazine, although being on their radar never hurts. I've been doing freelance work for GMHTP for about eight years now and there's nothing I enjoy more than finding a Buick, SyTy or any car other than an LS1 F-body, that I think GMHTP might be interested in. Unfortunately, it just doesn't happen that often.

For a while, I was very active on a lot of different boards, trying to find the best niche cars and get them into magazines. I met a lot of nice folks and found a lot of cool cars, but I didn't particularly care for the handful of drama queens wanting to pick Internet fights, so I walked away. I still look for the underdogs, but I only occasionally lurk on a message board, after a vehicle runs in a magazine.

I found Ryan's car at a stop in Minnesota on the Hot Rod Power Tour last year. I sat at the entrance to the venue and watched as many cars come in as I could and when one caught my eye, that I thought would work for a particular magazine, I'd try to track them down and learn more about the car.

That process is repeated at almost every car show and track I go to and while I don't get out as often as I'd like, I'm at car events of various kinds quite often throughout the year. The tough part for me in finding a car for a magazine, is that so many of the clean, good-looking cars don't go very fast (if they go at all) and so many of the owners of fast cars have all their resources tied up in performance modifications, ignoring the condition of any part of the car that doesn't make them go faster. The magazines seem to prefer cars that have the best of both worlds.

The magazines don't pay guys like me to go to these events, unless I'm there to cover the event for the magazine. They pay me to photograph (and/or) write stories on specific cars. I was on Power Tour on my own nickel, for my own enjoyment, with my 10-year old son. I was hoping to catch up with a Third Gen Camaro from Iowa, that I'd wanted to shoot since I saw him in Joliet the year before, but he wasn't able to get his car running. I did wind up shooting a Mustang for MM&FF that same day though, which also helped offset the cost of the trip.

Unfortunately, Buicks are a relatively small minority in the car world and that is reflected in editorial coverage (and advertising revenue). Most of the editors I've met at various magazines seem to be genuine car guys and many of their bosses seem to be as well. At the end of the day, they're all trying to make a living and if there was a living to be made publishing a Buick magazine, someone would be doing it.

Some people here seem to be pleased to see Rick Jensen moving on. I remember the same sentiment when Johnny Hunkins went to PHR. Hunkins was the driving force behind that all-Buick issue that Buick people still talk about and now sell for $50 on ebay. He was also the guy who hand-picked a Buick owner as his associate editor and eventual successor. Rick was (and still is) a big fan of Buicks and gave them as much coverage as he could. I'm sure the new editor will do the same.

I know some folks are interested in how Ryan's car is making the times that he claims. I'm not a Buick guy and don't really know the nuances of the different turbos and what that translates into for times. All I know is that when I saw his car, it was very clean and looked like it had a fair amount of work done on it. One of the first questions I always ask are related to performance. When he told me what he ran, I put a call in to Rick Jensen, to see if he was interested in featuring it. I'm pretty sure Ryan and/or his friends are active on this board. They might be able to better explain how he was able to achieve those numbers.

Thanks for reading and maybe I'll see some of you next summer!

Jim

Until I see that car run those numbers I won't believe it. Not saying it's impossible, but very unlikely.
Nice article though.

Until I see that car run those numbers I won't believe it. Not saying it's impossible, but very unlikely.
Nice article though.

lol i will say its impossible unless there is 1000 lbs that got taken out somewhere:biggrin:

I consider this site to have the most knowledge in the Buick community. Having said that, don't you think that a guy that has gone that fast with that combo would be known of on this board?
There are a few really fast guys down in Florida that everyone knows about that aren't members here. But still we've heard of them.

Scot W. I remember seeing that. I about sh!t when I saw a GN in that magazine. I might actually have it somewhere.

turbofish, I'm the same way you are. Don't get me wrong, I like a fast car, but I'm more interested in the car that looks completely stock running 11s. Now that's cool. I'd rather buy an unmolested car that needs some TLC than somethin that's been modded to hell. That way I know what I got:)

I would too like to see some lt1 and tpi coverage a bit. BBK has comeout with a whole new intake setup that is supposed to be the cats ass. I would like to see a story on that with some dyno numbers. I guess I can't complain about the lt1 coverage, it isn't too bad, but haven't seen a whole lot of budget real world stuff yet for the people that actually drive them everyday.

I would think it would be cool to see a comparison of stock ported tpi parts as opposed to the 1000 accell setup or the 500+dollar vortec intake. It's always gotta be about who can spend the most in that magazine for some reason. Why not some "build what ya got, run what ya brung builds"?

I like the stock appearing stuff, builds like that would be neat and they are usually cheap, which is good!

Another thought: I remember back in the day chevy high performance did a buildup on a feedback carb 305 motor. Still used stock setup and car appeared stock. I think it was an orange camaro. What happened to those days?

*** GS Nationals ?? ***

The magazines seem to prefer cars that have the best of both worlds.
Jim don't you think the Buick with a V6 that weighs 3500+lbs, Seats 5, Has air, tilt,cruise,pwr seats,pwr windows runs 9's-10's and gets 24mpg isn't BEST OF BOTH WORLDS? I sure think so!

The magazines don't pay guys like me to go to these events, unless I'm there to cover the event for the magazine. They pay me to photograph (and/or) write stories on specific cars. .

Unfortunately, Buicks are a relatively small minority in the car world and that is reflected in editorial coverage (and advertising revenue). Most of the editors I've met at various magazines seem to be genuine car guys and many of their bosses seem to be as well. At the end of the day, they're all trying to make a living and if there was a living to be made publishing a Buick magazine, someone would be doing it.

Thanks for reading and maybe I'll see some of you next summer!

Jim
(Perfect example) Magazines cover events to show what the cars are running, how the cars are performing RIGHT? At least thats what I get from reading these events that are covered. SO Why is the LSX shootout covered and the Buick GS Nationals NOT? Why not cover the GS Nationals of 20+ year old V6 cars that are putting up the same if not better times than the f-bodys? Why not cover the largest buick event of these cars once a year like all the other events? Hell we even have some V6's into the 6's and soon to be more.. It's not like there is no excitement at the GS Nat's compared to the F-body events or any other event for that matter..

Although I do recongnize all the buick articals that have been published in the past (and thats why I bought them) But It almost seems like all the magazines have a blind eye to the buicks and the GS Nationals.

It sure would be nice to have our largest event covered in a magazine....

Scot W.

I liked it, then again I like any coverage of our Buicks. Also, its my friends car, I know how clean that thing is and for being in Minnesota thats says a lot right there. I havent seen that car run the numbers it says so I cant argue if it can actually do it or not but I do know he has taken the time and effort to make that car as fast and as clean as he can possibly make it.

i believe i have that one too:biggrin:

Yes the Buick realm has very limited fanfare, but at least the TBs are covered. You never seen any turbocharged and supercharged front drives running 10s in magazines (there are bolt on kits that delete the supercharger and use a turbo and gains seem worth it-even with NO INTERCOOLER). I myself think something like that should definitely be covered in GMHTP. There are a lot of performance parts for these cars and they have a following just like the TBs.

I know they are far and few between anymore but there are never any articles or features on the fwd turbo sunbirds either. My friend had one. I will say they are cool cars, even when stock.

On the other page, when was the last time anyone wrote about any old school buicks? I've seen a skylark on pinks with a built 455 run 10s and it wasn't gutted out either. Coverage for these cars, buick gs's, and buick 350, 400, and 455 buildups are NEVER found either.

My last thoughts (finally)

Jim@GMHTP-I think it would be an excellent idea for PRIMIEDA or however it's spelled put out a new magazine as mentioned earlier. Have it feature american turbo cars (and even throw a conquest tsi in there to make dodgers happy). THey could call it DOMESTIC TUNER or OR AMERICAN TURBO or something of the sort. I'm out:cool:

Jim@GMHTP-I think it would be an excellent idea for PRIMIEDA or however it's spelled put out a new magazine as mentioned earlier. Have it feature american turbo cars (and even throw a conquest tsi in there to make dodgers happy). THey could call it DOMESTIC TUNER or OR AMERICAN TURBO or something of the sort. I'm out:cool:

There is already an E-zine out that is complete and functioning called Domestic Driver. It wouldnt take much for a business already set up to print magazines to take over that small set up and turn it into a real magazine. They are a pretty good little E-zine too, my GN was featured in it. :D