gm engine top cleaner

dfirefighter

I just put the gm engine top cleaner in to mainly check for any leaks due to a blm problem. the only obvious smoking came out of were the DP/turbo meet(which i was told will not alter blm). and were the header/turbo meet. now would this be considered a exhaust leak?

thanks for any help/info

Anything leaking Pre turbo can affect performance and if it's pre o2 it can cause lots of headaches in tuning. HTH Jon Hanson

Where the header/turbo meet is "pre-turbo". The stock O2 sensor is also within a few inches of that location.

Depending on severity, Leaks there may:
1) degrade turbo spool-up responsiveness
2) aspirate ambient air into the header, and upset the O2 reading.

You can pull the turbo off and put a copper gasket there. Mine is leaking slightly, but its not enough for me to worry about it. I have a cracked DS header to worry about. If its a stock elbow & DP, there should be a donut-like seal where they meet. It its a Kirban-style DP, its a flat flange and a metal to metal seal. You can use some emery paper to scuff the metal to make it seal better. I did this when I put my THDP on. Im not sure if GM still carries the DP seal, but I think I have a new one around here somewhere, unless I gave it away or whatever.

HTH.

P.S. All the "new" GM Top Engine Cleaner, in the funny looking plastic bottles; is EPA compliant. The old style in the metal pour can has been discontinued. I believe the aerosol is still availible, however.