Girdles...when do you really need to install?

ahh ok. i was just curious as to whats what..i dont wanna fork out money for a aftermarket crank this year. just dont wanna go to far on the stock one...(high 9s will be fine for me)

Just make sure the parts you using havent been detonated and that you dont have any detonation.

What sealant are you using?

I use a loctite 515. It's a Red Sealant. It comes out like white glue, just a tad thicker. It never really drys and sticks to everything. Plus it was designed to seal even with a small gap ( couple of thousandths or more ) and will not blow out or get pushed out. Once you use it you see how good it works! :)

Steel crank, rods, forged pistons,and a girdle is how I do it. I use the grey Honda sealant. No leaks, and I don't worry to much about the bottom end coming apart. Of course this is on my customers cars, as my Buick doesn't run. Who has time for that if you have to keep everybody elses around you running right.
Danny

My girdle leaks like no tomorrow out of the back near main seal when I fill it to the absolute top of the full mark on dip stick. Ofcourse you do have more oil now in the pan and that can't be a bad thing.

My girdle leaks like no tomorrow out of the back near main seal when I fill it to the absolute top of the full mark on dip stick. Ofcourse you do have more oil now in the pan and that can't be a bad thing.

You shouldnt have more oil. The stock pan holds 5 quarts. More oil is bad imo. The oil should be lower on the engine which is good because its further from the reciprocating parts. Im assuming you used the spacer for the oil pump pick up. If not your pickup is the thickness of the girdle further away from the bottom of the pan. This would be bad. Overfilling is not the proper way to correct it.

So what would be stronger, stock crank and a girdle, or main caps and a steel crank? Also which tends cost more to do?

So what would be stronger, stock crank and a girdle, or main caps and a steel crank? Also which tends cost more to do?

Both have been well into the 9's. If the tune is good they should both last.

You shouldnt have more oil. The stock pan holds 5 quarts. More oil is bad imo. The oil should be lower on the engine which is good because its further from the reciprocating parts. Im assuming you used the spacer for the oil pump pick up. If not your pickup is the thickness of the girdle further away from the bottom of the pan. This would be bad. Overfilling is not the proper way to correct it.

The girdle adds the thickness between the block and the pan creating a larger capacity. I do not overfill the engine past the full mark on the dipstick, it just leaks more when at full is what I said.

The girdle adds the thickness between the block and the pan creating a larger capacity. I do not overfill the engine past the full mark on the dipstick, it just leaks more when at full is what I said.

I wouldnt add extra. Ive always ran the extension and filled the pan with 5 quarts.

How about you do all steel caps, girdle, and forged steel crank? Then you would never have to worry about the bottom end ever again.

How about you do all steel caps, girdle, and forged steel crank? Then you would never have to worry about the bottom end ever again.

that is what i am doing with my build.why save a few dollors and have problems in the future.

that is what i am doing with my build.why save a few dollors and have problems in the future.

You would be better off selling your stock block and building a stage 2.

I had my stock block with 150,000mi running 11:30's daily driven and every Thurs night at the 1/8mi track. When I dipped in to the 10.80's the crank broke in half.:frown: I don't think the 18psi T-brake launches had anything to do with it. :tongue:

If your goals are Mid&High 11's get the steel mains. If you have an addictive personality with some extra cash in the bank go with the girdle because these Buick projects never end once you go 11's then you want 10's etc. etc.. ;)
Whats a personality ? Where can I find one of them