getting way hotter than it should for only 80 outside

87owner

just seems really ineffeciant. Cool outside temps it opens at 160, and stays around there. But when its hotter, it runs in the 190's even on the highway. The fan is comming on, just seems like the radiator is clogged or messed up? Could the water pump be flowing less than normal? What should I replace first? What radiator should I buy? Hows your car's temp when its hot out? THANKS

I think I would get my stock one cleaned and get the ramchargers duel fans.

yeah I think you are right...Just did some searches and got an idea of my aftermarket radiator options. BAD

Are you losing coolant? Just correlating with your engine breaking up when it heats up. Possible water getting into combustion chamber by head gasket.

Did you look at a new F-body aluminum radiator from Auto Zone or Discount? Under $120.

OK well

But even with the 90 5.7 radiator its not just a simple drop in right ?? I mean you still have to run an external oil cooler is this correct???

overheating?

Hi!
Fix the old radiator. Identical cores are out there, and a good shop will do the job for around $200. Alternatively, Poston sells replacements. Check it out.
Dale

Re: OK well

Originally posted by RUQWKNF27
But even with the 90 5.7 radiator its not just a simple drop in right ?? I mean you still have to run an external oil cooler is this correct???

It is a drop in, and yes you have to run an external oil cooler or none at all. Many run without one. You just remove the oil cooler adapter. Do not plug the adapter.

I've been running the Advanced Auto F-body radiator for around a year and a half with great results. Right now, here in B.G., Ky, it's been in the upper 70's to lower 80's and I've been seeing temps around 165-170. I do run the twin fans off of a 1996 Trans Am and have a 160 thermostat. Also, I did remove the oil cooler adapter and run a external trans cooler and have a stcok location IC.