Getting ready to start a rebuild on my stock motor in my 1987 GN. Any suggestions on upgrades?

Roller cam, ported irons, JE or other good pistons,steel caps or girdle. steel crank is a nice upgrade. Are you building it to stock specs? If not get out the checkbook:D

Is this just a stock rebuild? I'd bore the block .20 over and use a forged piston for sure. Ditch that flat tappet cam too. Invest in a roller cam kit. Full throttle or Weber Racing would be a good choice. How fast do you REALLY want to go? The budget and length of time you're willing to wait are very important.

Wrong time of year to start a rebuild. Unless you don't plan on driving the car for a few months. Nothing about a buick rebuild is quick or cheap.

Im not looking to go racing. I want to go back stock, but a little stronger, and a little faster. If theres anyone out there that can rebuild this motor for me. Shoot me a price, im located in Dolton IL.

If you going to tear down and just do a stock build, I would make these mods minimum.
1) Roller cam ( so you don't have to go though the nightmares of flat tappet cams going flat)
2) Get forged pistons, the cheapest one would be the TRW and I think it will work fine.
3) Stud the mains
4) Balance the rotating assembly ************
5) Rework the front cover, do the Earl Brown mods to the oil pump.

We use two shops here in the Chicago area, stock to mid 11's engines we use Windy City (773-254-8113 and talk to Darrel) Anything fast we use Speed service (773-545-1616 Brian)

HTH
Prasad

Hey Wikedv6 thanks for the info. Will my stock turbo work with that setup?
Sure, what is your current combo? Everything you have will work fine. It's all up to you what you want to change as we all know money doesn't grow on trees. Stock turbo is not the best option but it will work just fine. When time comes to replace it, replace with what is the best bang for the buck turbo in the market. They are always coming up with new turbos and there are older bigger turbos out there too that has a proven road record. So if the budget allows and your car is bone stock then you can up grade something like this order
1) New fuel pump with Hot wire setup
2) Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
3) Injectors
4) Turbo Tweak chip*********
5) Scan tool (This should be first in anyone's list. Scan Master to say the least)
6) Nice down pipe
7)160 thermostat, K&N filter ...and the list goes on.
If you can post the mods on your car if any then we can help you much better

HTH
Prasad

The motor seems to be stock except a K&N filter setup. What size injectors should I get?

For what you want to accomplish I will get the 60 lbrs from Full Throttle Speed and get the Chip form Turbo Tweak or get the combo from Turbo Tweak.
HTH
Prasad

Why are you rebuilding the engine? Is there a problem that needs to be fixed? Unless there is something to fix or you are upgrading for racing leave the motor in stock condition. You can do a lot of upgrades without opening up the motor.

David
87GN

Why are you rebuilding the engine? Is there a problem that needs to be fixed? Unless there is something to fix or you are upgrading for racing leave the motor in stock condition. You can do a lot of upgrades without opening up the motor.

David
87GN
Hey David the motor went out on me on the 80 west sunday. It spins, but wont start, not making any compression. Plus there is some play at the crank. If i go back stock, what were some of the upgrades you were mentioning?

probably snapped the timing chain or chewed off the teeth. For what your goals are, i wouldnt rebuild the bottom end. i would fix the timing chain/gears and the bent valves. I dont believe in budget rebuilds that end up being weaker than a stocker.

I just noticed that you are in Dolton. Im nearby in Flossmoor. After trying different engine builders, i have found that Dan Strezo at DLS engine development has always exceeded my expectations.

I got a bunch of parts for sale that you may be interested in.
Power logger
Scanmaster
60lb injectors that have been matched
Alky chips
TA49 turbo
Lightly used Walbro FP and Hotwire kit.
3"dp and dump stainless.

image-3556978389.png

image-1631001100.png

image-1694244330.png

image-499152562.png

image-3218346782.png

image-3329307937.png

probably snapped the timing chain or chewed off the teeth. For what your goals are, i wouldnt rebuild the bottom end. i would fix the timing chain/gears and the bent valves. I dont believe in budget rebuilds that end up being weaker than a stocker.

Bingo!

Surej, how did you get so smart? ;)

I agree 100% on the fix too. Yank it apart in the car or pull the motor. I would pull it.

RL

I have a 1985 GRAND NATIONAL for sale. The body is solid, and the interior is just about mint. The motor needs to be rebuilt. The dash reads 5600 miles. The car hasn't been driven since 1998. I would like to get $5000 for it. Im located in Dolton IL.