Georgia Car with hipo parts tring to get legal in California

alexo

Hey all,
I've been here before, even went to a buick club.
Lost my phone and contact info to the guys in Northern California.
Really need help in getting this car legal in Cali.
There are a bunch of things I must get installed back in this car to even get a chance to get smogged.
Does anyone know of a shop or moonlighting mechanic that can help me get this stuff done in the Bay Area of Northern California?
Went to at least 6 different guys to get it smogged, no one want to touch it without the charcoal canister, pcv valve cover breather looking stock. Not only this but the shorty air intake is causing the visual to fail too.
Hellp!!!

I am getting my car ready to smog here.

For CA all the smog stuff needs to be there and working. Cat, EGR, breathers, stock air cleaner set-up, gas cap that seals, charcoal canister, etc. Get a smog chip. It really sucks.

If I can't think of a way to hook up vc to turbo breather, i'm throwing a stock turbo, dp and cat on it.

Mizzi's automotive in Fairfield 707-429-8820. They specialize in turbo buicks and really know the cars inside and out. If you want an example of their work check out Rell87's car. He has a link to his cardomain in his sig. Also, depending on how much work your car would need to get to pass, it might be cheaper to go the "special" smog route. I'll PM you with some info

Mizzi's automotive in Fairfield 707-429-8820. They specialize in turbo buicks and really know the cars inside and out. If you want an example of their work check out Rell87's car. He has a link to his cardomain in his sig. Also, depending on how much work your car would need to get to pass, it might be cheaper to go the "special" smog route. I'll PM you with some info

x2

If you have family in GA you could "sell" them your car and maybe they would let you "borrow" it. ;)

3 choices

Spend time and $$ to get it to pass here

Register it out of state, family's house, etc.

Spend $ every other year for the special smog test :wink:

HAS ANYONE HERE PASSED SMOG WITH ALKY IN PLACE ?

HAS ANYONE HERE PASSED SMOG WITH ALKY IN PLACE ?

I just did last week....but what I did was turned off the Alky...took the up pipe off the inlet and kept the injector line hooked up, then tied that up safely behind the bumper and out of sight where the pump is....installed a good stock up pipe in it's place...really not that big of a deal.;)

The other stuff I did:
Installed the cat
Turned the boost down
Turned the fuel pressure down to 37 line off
Installed a smog chip
Installed the factory cold air box
Changed the plugs, oil and oil filter
Hooked the valve cover up to the turbo inlet by installing a different rubber coupler that I plumbed for it.
My EGR and Charcoal Cannister are all in place and intact, so no issues there.

Then I drove around for about an hour before taking it to the test station to get everything good and hot.

I've decided to keep the cat in place...not sure how much power that costs me at 22lbs of boost...but I'm leaving it in becasue in Cali they are installng more of those freeway on ramp sniffers that catch your plume as you accelerate up the ramp....they snap a pic of the offending license plate and call you in for some tuff love. They also are using these surprise remote test stations where they set up on the road side, and flag you in as your driving by for a surprise smog test.
It's totally tree hugging communist here...
...and they wonder why the state is going broke....

By the way www.turbolou.com can make your car smog legal again if it's not too far out due to mods, and the legal parts can be had for reinstallation.

Just ordered one of these

Catalytic Converter

Never seen one of those on ramp sniffers... I think they are set up for you Tim... they heard about you :biggrin:

Get a picture if you see one.

SmogTips.com - Roadside Smog Check Checkpoints. Roadside Emission Testing. Remote Smog Test Sensing Devices capture your vehicle's emissions exhaust as you drive on California roadways. Roadside smog testing. Roadside smog test check point. Determini
At least you don't get fined

LOL That frozen boost website is a crack-up.

Ya...they're out to get me!!!
Dang commy pinko's!!!!

I wish I had weekends off I would meet you in fairfield. I've got to smog mine maybe on Monday but since mine is stock I think only a bad cat will fail me since I know egr is good. I would be happy to help you wrench sometime but I won't bring the GN to the bay area, too many are stolen in that area. Im out by sac if you ever want to meet up sometime.