Gasoline guru help - Ethanol 10%

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
I noticed new LARGE stickers at the pump yesterday:
"Fuel contains less than 10% Ethanol"
I filled up with 93.
Now the car doesn't like boost levels above 15lbs - breaks up, when I normally can creep up on 18lbs without alky. Now I may be too quick to judge since there was a drastic ambient temerature change as well, but I don't ever recall issues such as this with cooler weather. In fact, the car usually runs much smoother in cold weather.

First question: Was there a level of ethanol before the "sticker" was applied - ie always has been ethanol in gasoline? I thought there was.

Second: If there is a different concentration of ethanol now, do you think it could be to blame? My thought was 'no', especially if i'm not running lean.

They've started that around here just recently also! :mad:

Been going on out in Kalifornia for years. They call it "oxygenated" gas (winter blend). Always had to reduce the boost a pound or two when they did it.

Instead of running 11.8:1 to 12:1, I've had to turn the A/F ration up to 11.5:1 to compensate.

A day later and now thar car can't make 5lbs without popping. I know it sounds like a non-fuel-related problem, but I'm going to burn off this tank and fill with another brand before I start troubleshooting other parts.

Sounds like you have more the 10% ethanol in your tank. Try richening your fuel presure up more. Ethonal is a great fuel, the problem is you have to run more of it to keep from leaning out.