Gas Tanks

texasterror

I've been reading about gas tanks because I need to purchase one, between the goodman and the spectra, anyone think one is better than the other. I cant find an original GM one but then again I don't know how much better a GM gas tank is than an after market. I've been reading the old threads and so far there are few complaints with the aftermarket tanks so now its a matter of choosing between the spectra and good man (unless someone has a better suggestion).

Chuck Leeper, Dana Wyatt and I all bought a Spectra 307C from Bob's on eBay. The price is down to like $98 shipped.

It's nice and has the baffling.

http://ebay.to/1wmy9a3

Is that tank galvanized on the inside ? Because that would make it not compatible with E85 if anyone was planning on using that fuel .

I would hope that they don't galvanize them. GM used a 'terne' coating on the inside, which is a mix of tin & lead. Did that for fuel lines for quite a while. Someplace along the lines of switching to EFI they stopped coating the inside of the fuel lines.

Not sure if it was the entire product line, but I do know that some vehicles have raw steel on the interior of the lines. Easy to tell from the rust, clogs the injector baskets too...

RemoveBeforeFlight

I bought a Spectra in December. I wanted to powder coat the tank with a clear, but I discovered the neck is soldered in place. The solder won't survive the oven.
I wanted to be sure the tank won't rust, so I degreased it and waxed it with a good paste wax. I installed a new Racetronix tank unit and new stainless steel and rubber lines.

I have a spectra I bought from Rock Auto and while it fits well, the tank doesn't take fuel worth a damn. I may have a separate problem but I figured this would be a good thread to chime in on.

I also used the bobs 307c tank it was less than 100 bucks shipped no problems yet we will see.

That is an interesting list of compatible and incompatible materials. I do have to question it though, it lists "unplated steel" as compatible with E85. Riiiight, right up until it is rusting like crazy. There is a whole bunch of folks here running E85 with stock gas tanks.

On a side note, this may be a reason that GM (and others) went to plastic fuel lines and gas tanks.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I do have to question it though, it lists "unplated steel" as compatible with E85

I think what was meant was non reactive with those materials in its "pure " state , now add some water (condensation) and you have a problem in the form of rust. Those tanks from Bob's were listed as galvanized . Are they coated after assembly or single sided galvanized sheet metal used ? That's why I questioned those tanks.

I think what was meant was non reactive with those materials in its "pure " state , now add some water (condensation) and you have a problem in the form of rust. Those tanks from Bob's were listed as galvanized . Are they coated after assembly or single sided galvanized sheet metal used ? That's why I questioned those tanks.

Most likely they are referring to the outside of the tank:

"Surface Finish: OEM Zinc Galvanized"

RemoveBeforeFlight