Gas tank paint

pm87tb

Hello, I want to paint my tank silver, to guys who have done it what kind of paint did you use? Also what steps did you take to prep it?

Thanks

POR15 silver. Check out the website and get the metal ready and then slap the stuff on.

por15.com

I used silver with the hammered finish, adds a bit of texture to cover all the imperfections. Came out nice.

Hammertone paint looks great IMO. If it is rusty, use a wire brush and sand paper, if it is undercoated or painted, use paint stripper. Rust Oleum hammertone silver is my vote.

Did mine last weekend while upgrading my fuel pump. If your tank only has a little surface rust like mine did a 3M medium grit sanding sponge works wonders. It does well on all the uneven surfaces. I used Plasticoat cast aluminum rattle can and it turned out great.

Mine was undercoated when new as well. Unfortunately they didnt/dont remove the gas tank straps and rubber belts and spray were they rust at.

Crawl under the car and bend down the rubber belts a lil and take a peek driver side seems to the worst as condensation/water stays in there

what ever you do don't sand blast it lol KABOOM! it may sound like common scence but believe me it's not. I've had many people come to the shop and want us to sandblast a gas tank full of gas.

This thread gave me another thing to do to the GN while i'm waiting for the motor to be rebuilt. :biggrin: