Gas Tank Install - some pics

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Just wanted to share some pics of the gas tank install I did yesterday. My fuel pump wasn't keeping up with boost so decided to replace everything. New tank, fuel pump, sending unit and hot wire kit. Got the tank from www.rockautomotive.com It is the Spectra 307C tank made in Canada and it DOES have the correct baffles.

My old fuel pump is one I picked up from Kirban back in 96 and guess it is probably a Walbro 307, replaced it with a 340 Walbro Racetronix pump along with their hot wire kit. Had a hot wire kit already but decided to change that as well as I like the Racetronix kits design better than what I had.

Figured the tank was 23 years old so why not swap it out too at the same time, probably not necessary but that's the way I am. Tank comes in plain and after stripping the non rust coating on it I prepped the tank for some semi gloss black POR-15 paint. Didn't like the way the semi gloss came out so gave it another coat of gloss black and looks much better.

Had the new tank assembly all ready to go in and just needed to make the swap. Here is the way I do it.

Got the car up in the air with ramps in front and my Raceramp wheelstands in the back.

Hooked my tank draining hose to the fuel rail and ran the pump until it starting pumping bubbles.

Disconnected negative battery cable.

Disconnect fuel pump harness and any extra grounds you may have on the tank.

Put a 5 gallon pail under the tank and loosened the forward tank mounting bolts and completely removed them and dropped the tank down onto the pail. There is no need to mess with the rear tank bolts at all to drop the tank. Since I was going to replace the fuel line hoses I just cut them to make removal easier. Just be careful as you will have some fuel left in the 3/8 feed line.

3 lines are 3/8 fuel supply, 1/4 fuel return and 5/16 vent. The 3/8 and 1/4 hoses should only be replaced with hose rated for use with fuel injection. Just used regular fuel line for the 5/15" vent hose.

Just did the reverse to reassemble but took extra care with the new tank to avoid scratching it up. Pretty much the hardest part is hooking up the fuel lines while you have the tank sitting on the pail. I would never suggest doing this with a lot of gas in the tank. Drive the car around to get the fuel down as much as you can and then pump out the rest. Your back will thank you.

With the tank back in place I now tackled the new hot wire installation. What a nice setup! Totally plug and play, unlike my other hot wire kit I removed, the relay is located at the rear of the car. No wires to cut any where and the hot wire up to the front of the car is the perfect length.

Poured in a fresh 5 gallons of gas and it registered on the fuel gauge so looks like the new sending unit is working. Cranked the car and she started right up. With all the parties I had to go to yesterday didn't get a chance to drive it yet. Going to take it out in a few minutes to fill her up and maybe a little beating on it going to a cruise tonite.

Only complaint was with the tank but minor issue. Filler neck is right up against the rear filler and a tad off center in the opening but not to the point of hurting anything. Was really pleased to see the proper baffles in the tank.

Attachments

• gastank 001.jpg
    gastank 001.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 998
  • gastank 002.jpg
    gastank 002.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • gastank 003.jpg
    gastank 003.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,011
  • gastank 010.jpg
    gastank 010.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,026
  • gastank 011.jpg
    gastank 011.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,047
More pics

Attachments

• gastank 012.jpg
    gastank 012.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • gastank 013.jpg
    gastank 013.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • gastank 014.jpg
    gastank 014.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,011
  • gastank 015.jpg
    gastank 015.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • gastank 016.jpg
    gastank 016.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,009
Will be finding out this afternoon. I always had trouble filling the stock one so will probably be the same.

Nice job.:smile:
You better get out the touch up brush I see a few scratches on the straps.:biggrin:

filler neck

you can adjust the filler neck pretty easy. that is why it has the convoluted section on it. just grab it and push it away from the filler.. looks nice.

Straps have been touched up.:smile:

Just put another 13 gallons of Sunoco 93 in the tank. Filled better than the stocker! That was with the handle squeezed pretty much all the way.

Straps have been touched up.:smile:

Just put another 13 gallons of Sunoco 93 in the tank. Filled better than the stocker! That was with the handle squeezed pretty much all the way.

I gotta practically trickle the gas in mine. One of the few things I bought new and its gotta be a f*ck up:mad:

Unfortunately, I guess I "fixed" something that didn't have a problem. Max fuel pressure I got today when I got on it was 62 lbs at 22 lbs of boost with base pressure set at 45. Should have been closer to 67! RATS:mad:

Bought the car in 1995 with 4700 miles on it. Always garage kept. Obviously not a daily driver but it is driven every week during nice weather.

Just got the hoses at the local parts place. 3/8" and 1/4" hose should be rated for fuel injection use. 5/16" is the vent hose and you can just use regular hose for that. Matched the length to my stock hoses and cut to fit.

I know it's minor, but should've ran polished stainless straps to go with that immaculate undercarriage.:cool:

Hey mark for the 5/16 vent hose they only had tranny cooler line. Will that work? Is there any difference in the hose made for tranny oil over fuel line?