Gas tank fuel lines

TheDoughboy

Does anyone here know the size of the 3 rubber fuel lines connecting the tank to the hard lines? I'm dropping the tank this weekend to install the Walbro and would like to have the fuel line ready. How much would I need? Do most also changet the rubber lines at the sender too?

TIA:)

Ron

I wanna say 3/8" id and about 2 feet to complete the job. Would this sound right from anybody that has done this? I guess I could make an extra trip to the parts store After I drop the tank.:(

Ron

Be sure to buy the expensive "high Pressure" lines for fuel injected cars. Get extra clamps, because using two clamps provides additional insurance against leakage when the boost goes to a million and the FP follows.

my tank is out (still!) so I can tell you exactly what sizes rubber tube are used.

measurements are rubber tube ID, hard tube OD.

fuel supply 3/8" (only line with double clamps)
fuel return 1/4"
vent 5/16"

the stock rubber tubes are permanently molded to a special shape near the pump/sender, but it seems a gentle radius bend in an ordinary rubber tube should work OK.

To make sure we're both referring to the same set of fuel hoses -

a) there are flex hoses right at the pump/sender that connect to short (18-24" ?) lengths of hard lines.

b) a second set of short rubber hoses where these short hard lines connect to LONG hard lines that snake thru the chassis & frame.

I think you mean (b) ? Hope this is all clear without pictures !

The hoses described in (b) also are specially molded shapes, but I think normal straight hoses would work OK here.

I just went & measured these (b) rubber hoses, and when I pull on them, to mostly straighten them out, they are about 6-7" long.

To be safe I would use 8" lengths minimum, and then trim off any excess length.

Goodyear high pressure spiral wrap rubber hose is one of the best types to use.
Second inline to that would be Dayco HP fuel line.
I have not found a Gates product to date that compares to the Goodyear product.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

I just replaced the 3/8" fuel line on mine yesterday and was wondering, Why is the original line so long? I'm assuming that it is original because it is molded. The line was close to 3 feet long, and it did a big loop under the heat shield. Anyone know if it was made that long for a reason?

Chromemirrors,

THREE feet !? That is *Not* stock, at least not on 86-87 TRs.

The longest stock rubber fuel hose back there is around 6-7", as I mentioned earlier.

From memory (always a dangerous thing!), the hoses should be routed above the heat shield -- the whole point is to shield the rubber tubes from the stock muffler & tailpipe locations, and the heat they create.

I don't know about 84-85s.

We are in the process of replacing my fuel pump(walbro 340), gas tank (it had rust), fuel pressure regulator (putting in adjustable billet aluminum), and the injectors (42.5 lb). We disconnected the fuellines that rub from the gas tank along the chassis only to find out that the insides had rust on them. I was wondering if I could replace the entire underbody fuel line with high pressure rubber hoses. I need to know!!!:confused:

IMO, I would replace the line with tubing but have seen long pieces of hose used:eek: