Gas smell from braided lines

Jicaju

Jicaju
I have braided lines from areomotive tank to front. Always had gas smell in car and garage. Will Teflon braided line cure this or something else. There are no leaks.

Yes. Best to stick with one brand for both.

Just watch your bend radius with Teflon lines , to tight and you can kink the Teflon liner .

I am sure if I change to Teflon all fittings will change also.

Yes, the PTFE lined hoses use specific fittings. Not even close to the standard hose ends.

If you have a lot tied up in the hose end fittings can use this:

Pro-Flo 30R9 Braided Hose

Example:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/111911/10002/-1

It does cost more then the PTFE hose, but by reusing the current hose end fittings it can end up being less expensive. This past Spring I did a car with this hose and there are no fuel odors from it. Unlike the former Russell braided rubber lined hose that stunk like no tomorrow.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes, the PTFE lined hoses use specific fittings. Not even close to the standard hose ends.

If you have a lot tied up in the hose end fittings can use this:

Pro-Flo 30R9 Braided Hose

Example:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/111911/10002/-1

It does cost more then the PTFE hose, but by reusing the current hose end fittings it can end up being less expensive. This past Spring I did a car with this hose and there are no fuel odors from it. Unlike the former Russell braided rubber lined hose that stunk like no tomorrow.

RemoveBeforeFlight

This sounds like a good idea. I am sure I have well over $250 invested in fittings. I am running -10 feed line and -8 return. Feed line splits to -8 to feed each fuel rail.

You can save some money using JIC fitting where possible. They can be had in ss too.

So there is no problem in re using my current AN fittings if the are not gaulded when removed?

So there is no problem in re using my current AN fittings if the are not gaulded when removed?
Only IF they are compatible with the new line. like was said already most if not all of the teflon lines use specific size and type of fittings.

Last edited:
I replaced all of my braided rubber lines with the ŕacetronix line kit for my double pumper. The smell is all gone now. Used to stink up the house with that braided stuff. The new line kit is also a fraction of the weight and size. A #8 flows more fuel then a #10 braided. Ŕacetronix also carries all the fittings and tools for these lines too so you don't have to to piece your system together. Start off by just changing the main feed and return, more times, that's all that is needed to cure your issue with smell.

I am sure if I change to Teflon all fittings will change also.
Mike you must switch fittings also PTFE hose take a different fitting than rubber braid. do it once & it will last forever!
Happy New Year! it was nice meeting you a couple weeks ago
Charlie

P.S. buy the line with the black inner liner. fragola sells the hose ends in black= it looks nice. I just redid my fuel system. it gets pricey, good thing you sold those doors - thanx again!

There is no link to substantiate my claims. Just an observation we made while doing the double pumper install in house. See post #16 in my thread about the installation of my double pumper. Unfortunately it's not letting me post the link to that, so do search under my user name for that post. The observation that we made was the inside diameter of the braided Russell #10 hose that we took off of the car was the same inside diameter of the #8 Teflon line that replaced it. The #10 ŕussell line is bulky because of the thick rubber hose along with the braided covering over it. The Teflon hose has none of that. It's a slender thin hose that is optically deceiving. Also the fittings are a continuation of the inside diameter of the hose, where the ŕussell stuff steps down where the fittings are tightened up. Not too mention that Teflon is a smoother ßurface then rubber with less resistance that allows the fuel to flow better then that of a braided line with a rubber hose inside it.

I replaced all of my braided rubber lines with the ŕacetronix line kit for my double pumper. The smell is all gone now. Used to stink up the house with that braided stuff. The new line kit is also a fraction of the weight and size. A #8 flows more fuel then a #10 braided. Ŕacetronix also carries all the fittings and tools for these lines too so you don't have to to piece your system together. Start off by just changing the main feed and return, more times, that's all that is needed to cure your issue with smell.

Mike, I am running the aeromotive 15 gal stealth tank with eliminator pump and controller. So far for three years everything has worked flawlessly besides gas smell. And yes it is noisy as hell. But at this point I will not go back to double pumper. I am running -10 feed line to split which then goes -8 to each fuel rail with -8 return. From what I gather from you post I should be able step down to -8 feed line to -6 at split to fuel rails with -6 return with the fragola Teflon lines an fittings?