Garrett Intercooler seeking Garrett ID tag for long-term relationship

Tom Kelly

After several years of trying to make my 86 as near perfect as I can I am down to the very small stuff. I have noticed from the beginning that the metal Garrett tag on the intercooler is missing. It's definitely an original intercooler although who knows if its the one that came with the car. Does anyone know if these tags are reproduced or does anyone have one laying around that is searching for an intercooler to marry? Thanks

Mark at TR Customs makes them. Very nice tags.

They even make stretched I/C’s look stock.
85D22D56-1606-4A3C-BEC7-E929CF425DEF.jpeg

I believe they have serial numbers. Mine is PF1900.
Since I’ve been calling mine the GX1 since the early ‘90’s, a combination of the two fastest cars, the GNX and ZR1 and have made a turbo shield, grille emblem and wheel decals I had Mark make one that says GX1 001 to pull off the illusion. I may make a dash plaque as well. Maybe one day the car will live up to its name.

I believe they have serial numbers. Mine is PF1900.
Since I’ve been calling mine the GX1 since the early ‘90’s, a combination of the two fastest cars, the GNX and ZR1 and have made a turbo shield, grille emblem and wheel decals I had Mark make one that says GX1 001 to pull off the illusion. I may make a dash plaque as well. Maybe one day the car will live up to its name.
Yes, I saw on the photo blowup that they have a part number and a serial number. I wanted to know from Mark if, for example, all 86 GN's have the same serial number or re those unique. It probably doesn't matter but I thought if there is a way to link it to my particular car, why not?

Yes, I saw on the photo blowup that they have a part number and a serial number. I wanted to know from Mark if, for example, all 86 GN's have the same serial number or re those unique. It probably doesn't matter but I thought if there is a way to link it to my particular car, why not?

You might as well make it match the car if you can.

Tom, all intercoolers installed in cars at factory have an individual serial number on that Garrett tag. if a replacement intercooler was ordered thru GM, there was no intercooler tag affixed. At one time, Jack Cotton had a few new replacement stock intercoolers.

if you'd like some guidance on what the serial # may have been on your intercooler, send me a PM. need the last 6 digits of your VIN. also, the date of manufacture of the intercooler. if readable, it's on the outlet arm, facing the engine.

in the pic below, that unit was mfg'd 27 Jun 1985. some dates are not readable under the factory black coating.
some heat exchanger cores also had a number and a date etched into the top as seen below - but these were not the numbers that appeared on the Garrett tag.
P1030680.JPG

Tom, all intercoolers installed in cars at factory have an individual serial number on that Garrett tag. if a replacement intercooler was ordered thru GM, there was no intercooler tag affixed. At one time, Jack Cotton had a few new replacement stock intercoolers.

if you'd like some guidance on what the serial # may have been on your intercooler, send me a PM. need the last 6 digits of your VIN. also, the date of manufacture of the intercooler. if readable, it's on the outlet arm, facing the engine.

in the pic below, that unit was mfg'd 27 Jun 1985. some dates are not readable under the factory black coating.
some heat exchanger cores also had a number and a date etched into the top as seen below - but these were not the numbers that appeared on the Garrett tag.
View attachment 352651
sent you a conversation with the info

sent you a conversation with the info
Anthony P (and everyone on this thread) I followed up and ordered a replacement data plate and it arrived today (see picture) Beautiful job and I used the month and year of my birth for the serial # as it fit in the general range provided to me by Anthony. Question: Did they go in a particular EXACT place or just generally in the middle of the intercooler top? As long as I went this far I might as well put it in the right place right?

Attachments

• ID plate.JPG
    ID plate.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 186
Here is my original I/C.
28A48102-B177-49FC-A35D-21DB3880A7C9.jpeg

I put my new one on straighter and more centered. I wanted to make it more pretty. Lol

Here is my original I/C.
View attachment 353460

I put my new one on straighter and more centered. I wanted to make it more pretty. Lol
Thanks GX1. Your original looked pretty straight. Nice to see that my replacement has the same part numbers on it. Looks like they are centered over the middle fastener and a little more towards the front than the back. Perfect.One more step. I am running out of steps.

You’re welcome.
Hopefully the next step is going for a drive.

I’m still working on that one myself.

Hi Tom, Glad that worked out for you. Mark H. has a nice product. Your tag looks wonderful. congrats on the restoration efforts.

Hi Tom, Glad that worked out for you. Mark H. has a nice product. Your tag looks wonderful. congrats on the restoration efforts.
[/Q
Thanks Anthony. I have this disease/I buy Buick "drivers" and then go crazy until there is nothing left to do. My last project was a 66 GS. Bought it for $2,800 to "knock around" and three years later (and over $70K) it was so perfect all I could do is wipe it down with a micro fiber towel. Check out these engine an chassis pics

Attachments

• Engine in Car.JPG
    Engine in Car.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Chassis 2.JPG
    Chassis 2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 177
  • right side angle.jpg
    right side angle.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 184
Hi Tom, that's some nice workmanship - taking the time and making the time to be thorough. It's projects like yours that I'll stare at for awhile. others may just pass or walk on by. sometimes an owner is in the area and asks what I'm staring at or cracks a joke. It's an appreciation for the effort invested to achieve the end result I'm staring at. A silent compliment that at least someone is paying attention to the details. well done.

Hi Tom, that's some nice workmanship - taking the time and making the time to be thorough. It's projects like yours that I'll stare at for awhile. others may just pass or walk on by. sometimes an owner is in the area and asks what I'm staring at or cracks a joke. It's an appreciation for the effort invested to achieve the end result I'm staring at. A silent compliment that at least someone is paying attention to the details. well done.
Thank you. I have discovered that there is always one m