Garage security tips

williamsGN

'Horse sneeze' addict
Moving from a rural setting back to the city and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on securing the garage. Not the car, got that covered, but the garage itself. Its going to have an alarm and a padlock on it, but was looking to see if anyone had some creative ideas on how to keep people out and the car in.

Motion detector floods, heavy duty door, locks and frame if you have a side door...a few off the top of my head.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Make sure the alarm company sign is visible at entry points, put a radio/light on a timer to cut on/off several times, buy a burly chain and attach to car and something else or at least make it look like it is attached. If they want to get it they will. You can only hope they go to something easier or slow them down. Also turn wheels to full lock when you park anywhere. If you have a hotwired fuel pump, remove the fuse. HTH.

block the windows so people can't see in... put up something to keep people from being able to reach in over the top of the door and pulling the rope that disengages the opener... drill a hole in one of the tracks above one of the wheels and put a burly padlock there... get a motion sensor light, set up to trigger a loud alarm and strobe lights inside the garage...

Camera's are a good deterrent. They don't even have to work, they just have to appear to work. If someone wants to steal something they will steal it. Your only option it to deter them before the attempt. One thing I love about our house is that we have streets in the front and back. No alley and no neighbor behind our house. We don't have any place for thieves to hide when people drive by.

If its an option get a dog. With a heavy door, padlock, alarm, and motion lights combined with a good guard dog you should be fine. Like was said, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. However, most won't even bother if there is a dog around. It don't even have to be mean. It just needs to bark.

What about putting a moat around the garage with some alligators in it? And get a remote control drawbridge :) jk

What about putting a moat around the garage with some alligators in it? And get a remote control drawbridge :) jk
My guard gator, Farley, on patrol...Loves chicken, turkey carcass, etc. He's the local garbage disposal for the chicken farmers..
He's been around for about 15 yrs, and is now right at 7'.
Back to the topic:
I have 2 windows in the shop. Both have serious bars on them. The man way door is visible from the back porch, as are the ohds. At 75', they are within easy reach of the AR, the .40 cal, or the Mossberg. The entire area is well lit w/ 1000 watts of HD liting.
Being retired makes it a bit of a game of chance...Is he home or not??:D
Farley 002.jpg

I have found, the less people who know what you have the better. This includes those you sell to. I always meet people away from my house when selling local. Just better no one knows. I have told my children that no one is allowed in the garage. This just cuts down on eyes. We have a dog and my wife is home most of the time, armed and plenty of knowledge on how to shoot, load and shoot more.

We have several halogen flood lights on motion sensors and this really gets the dogs excited when they pop on at night.

[quote="We have several halogen flood lights on motion sensors and this really gets the dogs excited when they pop on at night.[/quote]

I tried the motion sensors... So many deer in the yard, that the sensors go nutz!:(