G-body doors hard to shut?

John Ceta

Turbo Regal lover
A little history: my parents have owned an '87 GN since 1988. It was parked in the early 90's and the restoration is just coming to a close now.

Recently, I've noticed that the doors are difficult to shut. I was pretty young when the car was last on the road and I'm not sure how good my memory of that time is, but I'm pretty sure the doors were always hard to shut. The front end was up on jack stands for long periods of time since then, though, so maybe that has something to do with it as well. What do you think? Are you doors hard to shut as well?

These cars have heavy doors. After a while, like 20+ years, the door hinges will allow the door to sag making them hard to shut. The doors on my car are a little hard to shut but I found that the hinges are letting the door sag hitting the door striker. My buddys low mileage GN the doors shut with the slightest effort.

Did you put new door, and upper roof rail weatherstripping on?? If so the doors might shut a little hard for a while until the seals settle a little bit.

i replaced all weather striping and door hinges and got everything adjusted perfect and my doors shut so nice and smoth its great. the hinges are not cheap but it was worth it to me.

i replaced all weather striping and door hinges and got everything adjusted perfect and my doors shut so nice and smoth its great. the hinges are not cheap but it was worth it to me.

I can't wait till this winter when I restore my car. I don't know what thats gonna feel like when the doors shut like there supposed to.:rolleyes:

Bushing Kit

Rather than the cost and effort of replacing the entire hinge, you can get a bushing and pin kit for under $10. Dorman Part number 38400.

We have them in our catalog at $4.06 each (you need two kits) but truthfully you'd be better off getting them locally and saving the shipping - which would eat up the savings on such a small part.

I'm going to rebush my hinges this weekend, and will let you know how it works out.

Could you list the part numbers for us bums?

These cars have heavy doors. After a while, like 20+ years, the door hinges will allow the door to sag making them hard to shut. The doors on my car are a little hard to shut but I found that the hinges are letting the door sag hitting the door striker. My buddys low mileage GN the doors shut with the slightest effort.

Did you put new door, and upper roof rail weatherstripping on?? If so the doors might shut a little hard for a while until the seals settle a little bit.

Yeah, the hinges were replaced and all weatherstripping was replaced as well. I guess it'll work itself in.

im currently deployed so i cant tell you the part #'s. sorry

The driver's side is working itself in nicely, guys. The girlfriend still struggles with the passenger side though. haha

Well i rememberd my dads 94 silverado was like that on the passenger door then he put a 2X4 longways through the door and used a jack to lift the door and treak the hinges up worked felt perfect never sluped again. But dont know about
Regals i thinks its worth a try.