G-body 25.3 SFI rebuild

Wow, there's a blast from the past. Good to hear from you Mike, it's been quite a long time.

No kidding. I actually had to do a little sleuthing to make sure it was you, as so many of the old guard have been marched off never to return.

This is truly an impressive build.

No pics to post right now. Still working on the trunk sheetmetal. It's been slow going as I've lost some work days on the car this month.

I'd really like to try and complete the trunk work this weekend, we'll see come Sunday how far I got.

After the trunk sheetmetal, the remaining work is smaller, simpler projects. Still waiting for the custom window new to show up from Stroud...sure would be nice if that came real soon.

Anyway, probably won't have much to show here on out as the rest is small simple stuff. Will try and post updates when the car goes for media blasting & powder coat.

Update time. Thankfully it was a pretty productive weekend even though I lost a couple hours Saturday due to my daughters birthday party.

The tin work is officially done including the trunk. I was also able to knock quite a few small jobs off the list, so were looking to be in decent shape to finish up fabrication in the next couple weeks.

taking care of some loose ends on the top corners of the package tray.

rebuild142.jpg

rebuild143.jpg

mounts for the battery tray as well as the sheetmetal boxes in the corner for the ends of the frame rails.

rebuild144.jpg

trunk floor gas fill hump removed.

rebuild145.jpg

new body mounts.

rebuild146.jpg

angle strips to attach floors.

rebuild147.jpg

small 1/2" chromoly tube welded to hold chute cable to cage instead of zip ties.

rebuild148.jpg

rebuild149.jpg

This last pic shows the anti-roll link tubes completed as well as two tubes on the X brace to give me a place to weld tabs for the fire bottle to mount.

rebuild150.jpg

Impressive build, you've definitely got some awesome fabrication skills.

Very detailed and well thought out.

Thanks for posting...

Thanks guys, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Anxious to get the fabrication done so the body can be media blasted, then send it to have the chassis powder coated. Once that's done, it's off to the body shop.

Bent6, I've followed your build on YB.com. That engine setup is amazing! Good luck with the rest of your build.

I got a couple more things done this weekend. Just a handful of things on the to-do list, but it seems like everytime I take something off, I find something else that needs to be put back on. lol

shifter platform.
rebuild151.jpg

rebuild153.jpg

seat mount
rebuild152.jpg

Housing now has anti-roll and wheelie bar tabs
rebuild154.jpg

I worked a couple hours this morning and was able to knock about 6 or 7 things off the "To-Do" list. Were really starting to get down to the last few projects.

Here's what's left.

• mount window net (1/2 done, waiting on the net to arrive from Stroud)
• chassis tag
• mount f/g trunk lid
• build frame dollies
• heat/straighten rear frame rails
• build weight bars – 24” long
• fix trailer tire valve stems
• mockup front sheetmetal
• build wheelie bars – later?

Here's the completed housing. Today I added the tie down rings and a jack post in the center.

rebuild155.jpg

The cell needed a little attention. It previously had two #8 outlet fittings. I had to cut out the rear sump face and replace it with one for a single #12 outlet fitting to feed the Magnafuel 500 pump/filter setup. I stink at aluminum welding as I simple don't get much chance to practice it. The process feels quite different from steel and I just haven't gotten the feel down for it yet. Anyway...

rebuild156.jpg

Today I added the tie down rings and a jack post in the center.
I stink at aluminum welding as I simple don't get much chance to practice it. The process feels quite different from steel and I just haven't gotten the feel down for it yet. Anyway...

The rear diff looks great. Great idea about the jack post and tie downs. Will make life much easier later.

You could have fooled me on the aluminum welding, looks top notch to me, just like the rest of the build. There are some things on there that definitely made me go "huh?!", as in great idea, things I haven't seen before. Amazing work of art man!

Were getting real close to being done with fabrication on the Malibu. This weekend I got the window new mount fabricated as well as the new front bumper mount with integral weigh bar mount and lastly the dollies are complete minus one missing caster wheel.

rebuild157.jpg

rebuild158.jpg

rebuild159.jpg

rebuild160.jpg

The last few items to complete before the car can go to media blasting & powder coating are:

- chassis tag
- complete the deck lid mounting
- make small filler piece for firewall blockoff plate
- fit front sheetmetal to doors and make any needed tweaks/adjustments
- go over the whole body/chassis for anything that needs grinding, cleaning up, etc.
- disassemble any remaining parts to get to a bare shell

Last evening I worked on refining the door gaps as well as doing some mods on the upper door hinge to allow the door to lift off without the door edge hitting the fender. Once that was done I verified the fender to door gap, then proceeded to take the front end apart and begin dis-assembly of the door windows. Right now were looking to be in good shape and hope to complete the fabrication this weekend. If this happens, the car should be ready to go to the blasters as early as next week sometime assuming they have an opening available.

This picture shows what fabrication is all about, at least to me.

rebuild161.jpg

Every part shown here started as a piece of raw material be it tube, flat plate, etc. To take something in a raw form and transform it into something useful, practical, beautiful, etc is pretty darn cool. Sitting back and looking at these parts it gives a small glimpse of how much is involved in building a car, but also how many hand made pieces go into these projects. This is just the parts I made myself (except the TRZ housing which I modified) and does not include the sheetmetal floors (approx 11 to 12 pieces) as well as all the parts that are welded to the car and can't be unbolted.

What tig welder do you use for your fabrication work. I'm in the process of looking at tig machines any suggestions would be great. Great work that you have done there.

Very, very nice. I love all of the cool little tricks, like the weight bar mounts. Are you media blasting the car body as well as the frame, then powdercoating the frame and suspension parts?

What tig welder do you use for your fabrication work. I'm in the process of looking at tig machines any suggestions would be great. Great work that you have done there.

My own personal machine which was used for this build is a Lincoln Squarewave 175 Pro. We also have two Miller Syncrowave 250Dx's at work we use very day. There's alot of good machines out there, these are the only ones I have personal experience with though.

Very, very nice. I love all of the cool little tricks, like the weight bar mounts. Are you media blasting the car body as well as the frame, then powdercoating the frame and suspension parts?

The body is now welded to the frame in one spot and will no longer come off. No way around that. The entire body & frame will be media blasted as well as powder coated. The only area that will not be coated is the bodies outside skin. We've done several cars at the shop this way and it works out very well.

Nice Work...Can't wait to see the finished product.

Definitely alot of thought and planning went in to all the brackets and accessories you fabricated on this build.

Keep the pics coming...

Nice work. You must have gone through a few pounds of filler rod.

I'm planning do do a similar weight/bumper bar, but I'm going to put a fill bung in the actual bumper bar.

I wish I could have bought on of those TRZ housings, it would have saved me a lot of time.

Thanks that helps. You have some great skills. Keep up the good work this inspires us to do more.