fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor w/pictures

Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I go to the yard, i plan on grabbing some of these items. I'm not ready to put em in, but if I see the vehicles I want to get the right stuff.

Are the 3.1 lifters the same diameter as the 3.8? Or do they have to come out of a 3.1?

I'll be re-reading the thread, there were a few different builds going on in here, i just wanted to be sure I had my info strait.

Thanks guys:smile:

Yes... 2.8L - 3.1L - 3.4L-3100-3400

They are all "60 degree" V-6's..... and share the same short squatty roller lifters (if the car came with a roller.... note the early 3.1's and 2.8's were flat tappet)..... they are the same diameter.....

Aswome, thanks for the reply. Know I have a few engines to choose from.

Again, I appreciate it.

You have to use the roller lifters from the 3.1 Chevy. They are the same diameter as the 3.8 flat tappet lifters :)

Any updates?

Still waiting for any news (good or bad) on any of these engines running.

Bob

Bob

Still have to put the finishing touches on the motor. I'm a soccer dad so that has been taking up my weekends. This weekend is the last soccer game so I should get it in the car during Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

very interesting!

damn.. if someone would tool up and sell that gerotor oil pump setup, i bet they'd make a mint.
same with the roller cam swap- put it together as a kit, and watch them go out the door.
Jim Ruggles perf came up with a special front cover using that style of pump years ago.I only seen it used on one application & all I remember was that it leaked & never heard about it again.I too would be interested in this lifter idea if its quiet & more reliable than whats now available.

Bob

we have one club member with stock engine running with same set up.His car has been running fine with no problems.my car is in body shop.I sent it in to fix t-top rust and ended up putting a hard top on.soon as I'm done I will give a full update.

The good news.... is I'm getting a little closer.... When I get my tranny back in a few weeks... I will begin putting it and my motor back in..... hopefully within the next month I will be back on the road...

Getting closer....

Got my tranny back from Lee Thomopson.... my 2004R guru....

Should start working toward putting engine and tranny back in in the next week or two....

:biggrin:

update

picked a set of chrome moly 8.500" pushrods and waiting on head gaskets to complete motor..will probably switch over to 1.65 roller rockers this summer..
car is getting poly body bushings and 8pt roll cage before going to paint shop..looking forward to getting everything done..I hope others chime in with their progress report for this year..

update

pictures of 8.500" chromemoly custom pushrods I got from machineshop for 99.00 and steel shim head gaskets with 300m super permatex.These pushrods work better with 1.55 stock rockers.I'm running the heavy duty 1.55 stock rockers from kdk performance..
I'm currently waiting for bodyshop appointment to put on poly body bushings and 8pt cage before dropping motor and tranny in.will probably run a fresh 2004r until I get custom driveshaft for 400 tranny at a low 18psi boost for now with 72 turbo..
once evrything is done car will get a fresh paint job with 4 coats of clear..

check out the custom port/polish job done by myself and central fl machine and speed.These heads will flow some serious cfm.These are the 6293 heads and not the 8445.I had these left over from a stock motor and I didn't want to use my other set from a we4,so I decided to go all out on these.
with 1.77 intake valves,3 angle valve job and bee-hive springs set up for 72 turbo..I have alot of labor time in these heads,more than the short block itself..too much(lol)..

Attachments

• my car 1238.jpg
    my car 1238.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 885
  • my car 1235.jpg
    my car 1235.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 880
  • my car 1239.jpg
    my car 1239.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 893
  • my car 1240.jpg
    my car 1240.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 903
This may sound stupid but can you use rollers on a flat tappet cam without problems?

No.

A flat tappet cam has tapered lobes to make the lifter spin in it's bore to keep the lifter or cam from wearing. A roller cam has nearly flat (across) lobes..... because the lifter cannot spin.

The metal surface hardness is also different I believe.

This may sound stupid but can you use rollers on a flat tappet cam without problems?

Not a stupid question. It might work; but not very well. As above; the flat cams have a taper on the lobe so the lifter spins. The lobe is also usually bigger; and would push the lifter too high in the bore; and cause an internal oil pressure leak. If it did work for a while; the hardened rollers would dig into the soft cam and chew it up.

Hydraulic cams also have a pre-load ramp portion of the lift where the lifter is moving before the pushrod gets much of a load. That’s why you can’t mix hydraulic and solid pieces.

No.

A flat tappet cam has tapered lobes to make the lifter spin in it's bore to keep the lifter or cam from wearing. A roller cam has nearly flat (across) lobes..... because the lifter cannot spin.

The metal surface hardness is also different I believe.

+1 Plus the lobe profile would be all wrong. If you look at a roller cam with the same duration as a flat tappet cam you will notice the lobes are a lot wider on the roller cam. This is because of the lifter contact area.