fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor w/pictures

SpeedPro lifters made to directly replace the stock hyd. roller lifters? ..... like the type to be used with a spider?

Yes, direct replacements for the stock hyd. setup. They were designed different around the oil feed hole from stock GM lifters

Yes, direct replacements for the stock hyd. setup. They were designed different around the oil feed hole from stock GM lifters

Yikes! Good info. Fortunatly... the ones I have were original GM lifters from a junkyard engine....

lifters

lifters004.jpg

The lifter on the left is a stock lifter. The one on the right is aftermarket. The one on the right is the style I had problems with.

i bought a new set of melling roller lifters for a 95 3.1L and they look just like the stockers. i have part number if anyone is interested.

I just got done taking apart a Chevy 350 for the roller goodies today. Here are a couple of pics to share.
Here you got the stock 350cid pushrod(short one) with a stock buick(middle) and an aftermarket one(the dark one). Also, the lifters are one 350cid(used one) Chevy and one newer Buick lifter(the cleaner one). I just put all the parts side by side for comparison. The only difference I see between the Buick and Chevy lifters is the bottom of the Chevy ones are "rounded" whereas the Buick replacement is "square" at the roller tip. The Chevy dog bones are metal from the '96 newer trucks. Seems they should work.
15yparts031.jpg

Here you got the stock 350 pushrod and lifter side by side with a GN stok pushrod and lifter.
15yparts038.jpg

Yes. they are physically the same. Except for the recessed ends on the Chevy lifter, they are identical. That machined down bottom at the roller tip of the lifters may be there to offer more lift and less interference. GM did good with all their parts. This is only the tip of the iceberg;) Who knows what else interchanges? I am thinking about going back for the springs/retainers to see if the fit on the Buick heads as well. They look even smaller than the Buick's in diameter. I got the whole set-up for $20. Had to take them out myself with my own tools though. If I don't use them on the Buick, I can use them on a SBC 400 w/Vortec heads I got on the back burner. :cool:
That is a good find - did you measure the lifters to be exact ..?

fwd roller cam parts

good stuff guys..I'm having fun riding around town,kicking the tires in second gear..I rode all day today..I put some upper rpm short blasts to make sure the valve train would hold up and it did with no problems.I'm only running 12lbs boost with my 72 turbo and the power is insane compared to my pt 54 at 18lbs..Just be sure to use the high performance valve stem seals(teflon) when changing your spring set-up and have machine shop cut the valve guides to .500 ...my oil pressure at idle is 25psi hot and 55 psi hot at 45 mph..I'm running 20/50 racing valvevoline with zinc additive..

Are the lifters out of a 96 and newer truck 350 .?

Yes they are. They will fit the lifter bores alright but stick out quite a bit. I took out the intake manifold getting ready for a cam swap due to a lobe getting rounded. The "dogbones" from the Chevy seems to work but both lifters for Chevy and newer Buicks stick out high enough to hit the dogbones.:confused: lifting them quite a bit. Scrap this idea.:frown:
100_0478.jpg

100_0477.jpg

you need the shortie style roller lifters out of a 60 degree v6 (2.8, 3.1, 3.4)

The SBC lifters are too tall as your trial fitting has shown

B

you need the shortie style roller lifters out of a 60 degree v6 (2.8, 3.1, 3.4)

The SBC lifters are too tall as your trial fitting has shown

B
Thanx!
Gotcha! Scrap yard ... here I come:biggrin:
I can use the 5.7 Chevy lifters on a 400sbc I'm putting together... I hope.