fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor w/pictures

.....snip....Blazer406 I feel your pain..When my engine was at the machineshop,I had all the cam bearings done with brass freeze plugs..even on a mild fresh up job I change the cam bearings..just standard practice for me from past experience and the bearings are pretty cheap compared to the others..

I put had new cam bearings installed on this rebuild.....it has run about 2 hours idling... and about 60 miles total at this point.... should pull the engine AGAIN... tomorrow after church..... might know something tomorrow night?

Update on my low hot idle oil pressure issue... it wasn't the lifters..... it was a spun # 2 cam bearing.... :mad: It is stuck to the cam......

Just my luck......probably is a dirt dobber nest in the oil hole in that block journal knowing my luck.....

Update on my low hot idle oil pressure issue... it wasn't the lifters..... it was a spun # 2 cam bearing.... :mad: It is stuck to the cam......

Just my luck......probably is a dirt dobber nest in the oil hole in that block journal knowing my luck.....

Well... after much more thought... and listening to some people that have been there and done that..... I've decided to bail out on my poor boy hyd roller conversion..... I ordered some of the HYD ROLLER Morel's from TA Performance. I also got some 3/8" dia .080 wall pushrods coming from Summit....... after talking with several people.... the oozing oil I saw around the lifter bore(s) could be enough to take enough oil volume away... that my oil pump can't keep up...... so to eliminate this as one of my questionable issue(s) that could cause oil pressure drop.... I'm converting over to the Morrel's that TA Performance sells.....

fwd roller parts..

Well I'm waiting for the rain to stop here in fl,so I can get started.will post pictures along the way.I don't anticipate any problems with lifters or oil pressure..

parts

blazer 406 so does this mean you are going to sell what you have gathered so far ,lifters, dog bones and so forth - I am interested ..

blazer 406 so does this mean you are going to sell what you have gathered so far ,lifters, dog bones and so forth - I am interested ..

Probably not.... going to possibly put in another motor with a much smaller cam.....206 or so.... and not nearly as much lift....

fwd roller cam parts(motor)

Ok folks,here it is.Finally got motor in just before the rain came.So now I will be taking the car to the shop so I can finish putting everything together without getting soaking wet everyday..I spent most of the day putting on all the accessories..will post back soon.Is anyone else running this setup or working on their engine with this setup,let us know your progress..Thanks..

Attachments

• my car 1271.jpg
    my car 1271.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 762
so has ANYBODY actually ran this "budget" set up with success yet????? anybody??

yes ,we have a club member running it here with no problems for the past couple of years.He is also working on modifying a 3.8 fwd roller cam to run in his g.n.

I have been running it for about 4 months with no problems. :cool:

What lift cam?

I was satisfied with mine......decently quiet.....but in chasing an oil pressure issue... I am swapping it out to eliminate that as a variable...... however... I was running around .590 lift on the intake with 1.65 ratio rockers.... IMHO.... this is pushing the envelope on this setup..... I am not sure anyone has come near that on valve lift numbers on other similar setups.... but I could be wrong.

I am fairly certain it wasn't the cause of my oil pressure issue..... but was on my "radar" as a potential contributor.......

Ultimately I had a spun cam bearing..... which is likely where the majority of my oil was going...... however... I have been told from several more seasoned racers.... that in most cases.... a spun cam bearing won't cause an appreciable loss in oil pressure.

FWIW... I am keeping my setup for now to go in another motor..... potentially with a smaller and much lower lift hyd roller cam...... so I am confident they will work.

I have been running it for about 4 months with no problems. :cool:

how big of a cam are you running? I know its been asked, but does anybody have a parts list with part #'s? like
timing chain set up, springs, etc.?? thanks!

and how big of a cam could be used with these rollers and bones? I'm about ready to buy a cam set up, and shopping around. Thanks!

how big of a cam are you running? I know its been asked, but does anybody have a parts list with part #'s? like
timing chain set up, springs, etc.?? thanks!

and how big of a cam could be used with these rollers and bones? I'm about ready to buy a cam set up, and shopping around. Thanks!

I'm ruuning 218 billet roller cam

Almost done

Ok I'm almost finished getting everything done.Alot of odds and ends to do like hook up external pump with fuel lines,custom driveshaft,line lock..etc I'm just running into little problems getting the right size bolts,vacuum lines,shifter cable..etc..just little stuff that is a pain in the butt,but nevertheless it's getting done in between work on my days off.I should have this thing ready to fire up in the next week or two,depending on how much I work on it in my spare time.I'm ready to finish this project and move on to the next..Will post results of valvetrain once I get it running..Enjoy the picture..still have vaccum lines and wire loom to install and other little stuff.Will change over to 3" t-bolt clamps before I turn up the boost to make any serious power.

Attachments

• my car 1298.jpg
    my car 1298.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 631
It's Alive!!!!!!!

Well I fired her up today and ran it for a while to break in motor.And I want to tell you guys that my lifters are very quiet :) ...Motor sounds real tight.still have some tuning to do but as far as the valvetrain goes it is very
quiet and I am very pleased with the outcome..I'm running comp cams 218 billet roller,fwd roller lifters/retainers/dog bones and 8.500" pushrods with the stock 1.55 heavy duty rocker arms..So Finally you guys have your answer on if this setup works and I can tell you first hand yes it does....I may step up to a set of roller rockers later,but for now I will leave it like it is.:biggrin:

I'm working on a 4.1 block and stroker kit----it shouldn't be too much longer before we see what its going to do.