full time lock-up

FastTurb

HI, I did't know if I should post this in the tranny section or in the chip section. if it should be moved, I understand.

after my engine rebuild/upgrade with 50# injectors and bigger turbo, cam, JE Pistons, upgraded oiling, head work etc I purchased a few different chips to try. I like the chip in it now but it appears to set lockup in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. The lock up solenoid has been replaced and the car nerver has any sticking in lock-up coming to a stop or in first. But if I light throttle it when it shifts to second it kinda goes uh uh (lug lug) and then if I'm still light on the throttle it will do the say uh uh (lug) in 3rd. The shifts are crisp and on time. If I a give it more throttle I don't get the little uh uh (lug) and everything is just fine. So I pulled the lockup connector and the uh uh (lug) stops and shifting is still fine. I really think it is the chip forcing lock-up in each gear above 1st.

If this is what is happening will this put excessive load on the tranny or even damage it prematurely? I am going to use the car as a daily driver. The tranny and engine are in excellent shape at this point (touch wood) and I don't want to ruin anything. I know folks wanted the lockup for racing and it is fine by me if it doesn't cause damage when used all the time. If it is bad for the tanny, I will either put a switch on the signal and only use occasionally or try another chip. thanks for any help with this....

sounds like a race chip that locks up for a full run, or your brake switch could have went bad. you can figure out which side it is on by giving gas and partial brake at the same time. if the lock up disengages, then its on the control side (chip). if it doesnt, the the poblem is on the power or actuation side (brake switch or solenoid).
i had a bad solenoid that would do the same thing. i put in a switch to turn off the power ( which comes from brake switch). it works but is a hassel.
driving on the highway WITHOUT lock up is very damaging . the oil (ATF) which provides lock up, is the same oil which goes to the cooler, hence no lock up, no cooling (thats the way i understand it, maybe a pro can chime in). Heat kill tranmissions.
Full throttle with lock up engaged will cause lock up clutch failure (eventually). Drive train components wont like the jerking from bein locked up all the time.
bottom line. get it to work properly, with a manual switch control or ECM contol the way it is supposed to.
Try braking while in lockup and listen for the disengage. that will point you in the right dirrection.

fyi
internal oil passages make it physically impossible to lock up in first gear.

andrew