Fuel Pump Wtf?!?!?!

Originally posted by Racetronix
The 1986 and 1987 factory fuel pump connections are the same in all TRs. If yours is different then it must have been changed somewhere down the line. Pre 1986 cars may be different.

My March 1986 built T-type has spade connectors as Nick Micale and Woody pointed out and as ChrisF discovered in his tank. You don't have to believe us if you don't want to, but I can post a picture of my original FACTORY 1986 fuel pump and you will see there is no '87 style "connector" to be found, anywhere. Just 2 seperate wires with metal spades.

I bought my car from the original owner, needing a fuel pump. He obviously never changed it because he didn't know why the car ran so bad (It needed a fuel pump)

...sigh....

Just to clarify:

We can easily see all the 86 and 87 TR setups are NOT created equal.

I have subsequently spoken to ALL the previous owners of this car, it is the stock setup with an aftermarket pump, plugged into stock wiring.

My car has *no* Delphi connector in the bulkhead, so the "same as LS1" adapter harness (provided) will not work.

The kit is advertised as "plug and play", no cutting, soldering, etc..

The instructions provided say to "save the pulsator and pulsator to fuel pump rubber spacer for use in mounting new pump"

I agree the intial confusion about pump lenth has a good solution, longer hose and no pulsator, but contradicting the instructions, thats why I asked for more opinions.

I do NOT agree that playing with wiring immersed in raw fuel and vapors is a good idea, thats why I chose plug and play. I'm not trying to be a pain. I have the right to be overcautious, I put my daughter in this car. I want it done right is all. I don't want to end up a Roman candle!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I merely trying to learn, and use the collective knowledge of this board to make my car the best it can be, just like the rest of us on this board.

NO FLAMES MEANT, (and none wanted from my gas tank!:eek: )

Chris
:D

Overcautious is not such a bad thing when warranted,but in his case it's not.Ever think about the path the fuel takes going through your pump?Ever cut a pump apart?I have.

I know scary ain't it? lol

I just want a nice plug and play setup. No reason in this day and age to cut up perfectly intact wiring. It's uneccessary.

Originally posted by UNGN
I can post a picture of my original FACTORY 1986 fuel pump and you will see there is no '87 style "connector" to be found, anywhere. Just 2 separate wires with metal spades...

Please send me this picture via email. Thanks.

Does your tank have the same plastic baffles in it as a typical 86/87 GN?

I wonder if this odd fuel module goes hand in hand with some option code or is it a result of whatever GM happened to have on-hand at the time of production?

Since there are no current / evident external indicators as to which type of sending unit a TR might have it would be impossible to order the proper adapter prior to the removal of the sending unit. The 400-835 FP install kit specified for all model years of the TR includes the GM to GSS adapter as standard.

Walbro's official solution is to use butt connectors for non-standard applications.

I can provide a Walbro GSS style to push-on locking terminal harness as customer specified option.

The other option is to replace the old style bulkhead connector with a new style Delphi 4-position bulkhead connector. This way the assembly could have a dedicated ground wire running directly to the pump plus and a redundant power feed. All this would be true PnP but these bulkhead connectors are pricy. This would add significantly to the complexity of the harness and its price. If this option appeals to some people I will consider offering it as an option. I know some TR's have very rusty FP ground connections and this would address this problem as well.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix

jack-
i could send you a pick of my 86 harness, but we agree that 86/87 harnesses are the same-

perhaps there might be a difference in the harnesses because
of early 86 built date cars :confused:

i have a 85 gn im parting out, i will post back when i open it up and discover what terminal end it has on it
thanks

"I wonder if this odd fuel module goes hand in hand with some option code or is it a result of whatever GM happened to have on-hand at the time of production?"

The '86 hanger is not an "odd" piece. It is what GM put in all the ones I have done and that is about a dozen or so. I also know that the tank was never removed until I did it.

I am not trying to start a debate, only reporting what I have personally seen and done with these car over the past 15 years.

I'll be very happy to start a debate.....I appreciate the fact that a vendor is willing to build products for our tiny market, but perhaps that vendor should admit that maybe there are some things about these cars he doesn't know? Nobody will hold that against you, and who knows, maybe the products will improve!

BTW, as Nick pointed out, the in tank 86-87 adaptor is available from Casper's

looking at the broadcast sheet on my 86, the build date is 6/18

Here is a picture of the FP from my 86 T-type. the camera was free so quality isn't great, but the difference between it and an '87 is obvious:

86 Fuel Pump

Here is a close up of the spade connectors:

Spades

here is a piture of ChrisF's 1986 Hanger. Note that the wires are the same as the one I removed from my car 7 years ago.

Chris F's 1986 Hanger

hope this helps,

The Walbro to push-on type harness is done and the problem is solved. :D This is not an intermediate adapter but rather has a Walbro GSS connector at one end and the Delphi push-on terminals at the other. Silver / Teflon wire is used. I will edit / post a link to a picture later today. The question now is do I include one with every kit and raise the price to reflect this addition or require the customer to order the correct kit based on inspection of the sending unit prior to placing an order? Dropping the tank twice or having the car inoperative until one's kit arrives would appear to be more of a potential hassle than paying a few more dollars to have both types of Walbro to GM adapters included with the Racetronix kit. Having two kits / part numbers on the shelf is a hassle for Racetronix and dealers as well.

Racetronix

UNGN, thank you for the pix!

UNGN, thank you for the pix!

Hey, no problem. That's what we are all here for, to help each other go faster.

supply the harness with the regular harness end on it, and supply 2 nylon connectors with it for the people with the plugs that are shown from nick-
hth

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
supply the harness with the regular harness end on it, and supply 2 nylon connectors with it for the people with the plugs that are shown from nick-
hth

That can be done no charge, BUT would that keep the majority of people happy? How many people have proper crimpers / strippers?

I don't see the adapter on Casper's web page, what is the price?
Is it an actual adapter or stand-alone harness?

Racetronix

looks great--
i will keep this in mind when i do a 86 car that has that style connector

any idea of a price for it?

SOLVED

Okay folks, we got it all worked out. After talking to Jack from Racetronix on Saturday, we were able to clarify just what I had and what we need to do about it. Apparently I have an "oddball" car in comparison to the majority, however we have documented there are others out there like it.

Jack has agreed to send me the adapter harness that I need for true "plug and play" installation, free of charge!

I certainly think the Racetronix kit is top quality, and Jack was more than willing to go the distance to satisfy me as a customer, and I would reccommend his products to any of you considering these upgrades, or any othes he offers.

I also am thankful that in our small niche community of TR's we have this board and all of it's members, with all of our collective knowledge we have a tremendous recsource of info at our fingertips, and we have learned something this time out. The board has served it purpose well.

Thanks again all you guys!!

Chris:D :D