Fuel pump prime doesn't stop

microELVIS

I rinsed off the motor yesterday, and now the pump doesnt stop priming. It is hotwired. The relay is dry cause I left it open over night. It clicks if i play with the test plug behind the alternator. Is there something im missing here, or something I can rig up ? Im kinda stuck without it.

What did you leave open over night(the hood or the relay)? The relay's contacts may still have water in them(if you meant the hood). The clicking is the coil closing. If there is water between the contacts- there will be continuity without the relay being closed. Pull the relay(in the engine bay) and see if the pump shuts down. Then again: If the oil pressure switch's connector is shorted by water, it'll keep the pump running too(it bypasses the relay). Try removing it and blowing it out with compressed air/WD-40.

Did any of the wiring get removed from the relay then reinstalled wrong? You have a ground, "trigger" wire, in and out

check the oil pressure/fuel sender wire connections at the front passenger of block beside of timing cover ,
the oil switch is for the idiot light but it also functions to maintain a secondary 12v source to the fuel pump as long as oil pressure is present
the rubber boot tends to get nasty over the years and soft , it could be saturated with water and completing the connection to the fuel pump

Im 99% sure that was it, the oil circuit. the boot is in pretty bad shape but still works. I remembered it being in bad shape when the oil light came on when i started it, I just didnt know it was part of the same circuit as the pump. It went away after a few minutes of driving, i guess to evap any water.

Thanks fellas, you guys are coooooooooolll :cool:

microELVIS said:
Im 99% sure that was it, the oil circuit. the boot is in pretty bad shape but still works. I remembered it being in bad shape when the oil light came on when i started it, I just didnt know it was part of the same circuit as the pump. It went away after a few minutes of driving, i guess to evap any water.

Thanks fellas, you guys are coooooooooolll :cool:
I thought that might be it. It would be a good idea to pull that connector and clean it. That funk collects moisture, and could cause repeat performances of this last headache ;) . If you happen to not notice the pump running: you could end up with a dead battery.