Fuel pressure gauge * Digital stepper motor ? Electric

Tori

Thinking of adding an inside mounted fuel pressure gauge. Going on Autometer's website, i see mechanical and "digital stepper motor" What is that ? I assume that's the electric version i need, but can someone explain that to me. Why fancy name ?

Mechanical would be a bad idea unless it's outside. The electric is the one you want for inside the car because it uses a remote sending unit and no fuel will have to come into the car.

Yes, electric of course. I meant to imply i was interested in electric. Thats why the question about ELECTRIC and instead of simply saying they are "electric" they advertise them has "digital stepper motor" That's what my question is about. What is "digital stepper motor" ?

Digital Stepper Motor

The digital stepper motor version of gauges provides the highest possible levels of accuracy, precision, response, and durability. These are controlled by a microprocessor on the circuit board and are the style of gauges seen in modern cars. If you’ve ever sat in a brand new car, turned the key and saw the gauges go from the far left to the far right before reading, then you’ve seen digital stepper motor gauges. Every single time the car is started they recalibrate themselves in this fashion, providing an accurate reading every time.

Found this article if it helps.

It does. Thanks. You'd think Autometer would include that in the description of their damn gauges. But hey, maybe i'm the dummy for not knowing. Anyway, sounds damn nice.

Where would one make the connection for the sender ? Just off the end of the rail ?

If you can afford them, the Elite series are nice. Logging output as well as a high and low output to trigger a relay if you like. 7 color switchable LED lighting. Colors will also change when reaching your low or high setting and flash at you.

Bryan

I have the Ultra Lite series so i'll be sticking with that. However, they do have a Memory style and warning indicator with the #4371
4371_d.jpg