Fuel pressure even on all injectors

orangecar

Been thinking, with out a fuel pressure gauge at the discharge point of the fuel rail, how do we know that the pressure is even to all the injectors. If a large fuel return line is installed, 3/8 inch, would the pressure be different at the supply end where the regulator is, vs the discharge end where the large line is taking the extra fuel and pressure away. This is assuming mods like in my signature, seems the return line is smaller from the factory for a reason? Maybe the return line for say a 340 lph pump should not be the same size as the supply line, maybe 5/16 inch would simulate the factory ratio? Don't know just thinking.

Bernoulli thought about it too. At the rate our fuel flows, it's even enough.

The return line isn't a factor unless it's so restricted the FPR can't do it's job.

Since we are just thinking about it there are a handful of formulas out there for for sizing a fluid header system based on the size and flow of the branches to avoid pressure drop from one end to the other. Don't have my book here to snag that formula but the rail proves itself in practice.

Last edited:
That's not for pressure drop. That's for pulse tuning.

Exhaust systems also have a lot more velocity in them resulting in a much greater difference between PSIA and PSIT. The fuel rain doesn't have near the pulsations as an exhaust, and the velocity is much much much lower. Not to mention the fuel rail is full of liquid and the header is full of an easily compressible gas.

That's not for pressure drop. That's for pulse tuning.

Exhaust systems also have a lot more velocity in them resulting in a much greater difference between PSIA and PSIT. The fuel rain doesn't have near the pulsations as an exhaust, and the velocity is much much much lower. Not to mention the fuel rail is full of liquid and the header is full of an easily compressible gas.

No its for fuel header/rail pressure drop in this case, the term is interchangeable in industry for trunk line etc etc. Sorry for the confusion and I edited the above to make it more clear.

My fuel pressure gauge is at the end of the line, right after the regulator/return. The feed is on the passenger side.

n28do7t