fuel injector problems

deez87

Hey guys! My name's Damian and I have an 87 GN rebuilt engine bored .030" over and upgraded turbo. I just recently installed 30lb. injectors from Postonbuick and now its running worse than before. The car studders like hell and the mechanic tells me that the injectors need about 40-50 miles of use to be broken in and the ECM needs to be reprogrammed. I have the stock chip and I was told that 28-32lb. injectors work with the stock chip. i need some GOOD advice about this so if anyone out can help me I would sure appriciate the help. Thanks!

Those are some small injectors. I would get a new turbotweak chip. What size is your turbo? And injectors do not need to be broken in. Explain in detail how it studders. WOT, idle, part throttle.

It studders at all times unfortunately. As far as the turbo, it s basically the stock turbo just cleaned up with upgraded guts and the fan is a little bigger. At WOT or idle it shakes badly. Would changing the chip fix this issue? I know 30#ers doesn't sound as scary as 42#ers, I figured 30# inj. would be sufficient. If I added 42# inj. and a different chip, is that all u need or do u have to do more?

#1 - Get a new mechanic.... one who is familiar with turbo buicks, and if he tells you that new injectors need 'broken in'...... RUN!!!!!! :eek:
#2 - Get a new chip - one that is burned specifically for your new injectors and combo... 30 lb-er's are fine for stock turbo, stock-ish everything else... TurboTweak is now recognized as THE gold standard, and the $85 (I think) you spend for his chip will be worth it's weight in gold.... since you already spent $$ on new injectors, I would recommend you use them while you LEARN (and there's ALOT!!!! to learn) about these cars... they will serve you well as you learn (and save $$ for later upgrades...:biggrin: ) You will also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to go with the new chip (if you don't already have one). www.turbotweak.com
#3 - Following a new chip, the very next dollar you spend on your car should be for a SCANTOOL or some sort... most turbobuick guys use the Scanmaster at a minimum... and learn how to use it....
#4 - DO NOT run the car hard (wot) until you are SURE it is tuned properly and not running too lean.... you WILL blow headgaskets or worse if you don't heed this advice.... and that gets REAL expensive, REAL quick....
#5 - READ, READ, READ..... here, and at Turbo Regal Web Site These cars are very particular and finicky, but are extremely satisfying when you get them figured out. Read the 'Tech Articles' at the above site, and devour as much info as you can. Hours and hours are required here.... I've had my car for nearly 15 years and been a member of one forum or another the whole time.... and I still learn something nearly everytime I get online.... :)

Get the chip first.... that is likely why the car is running crappy... the chip MUST match the injectors or the fuelling is all wrong.... and the stock chip sucks, even with stock injectors...if it still runs bad after the chip change, post back and we'll figure it out...

Welcome to the darkside!! :cool: Your wallet will NOT thank you!! :eek: :redface:

Unless you came across an unmodified stocker, most of these cars by now have had a chip change at least. Visually all chips look alike. Although 30lb's should run okay on a true stock chip (a little rich, especially if you upped the fuel pressure any), play it safe and get a new chip. Not only will you be sure of what you have, you'll benefit also from 30 years of tuning by the chip maker. If you haven't upgraded your fuel pump and or hot wired it and added an adjustable regulator you need to do so if you are trying to exceed the stock performance at all. Get ahold of a scan tool and make sure everything is set where it should be.

BTW: The chip upgrade is the only reprogramming that can be done to the stock computers.

#1 - Get a new mechanic.... one who is familiar with turbo buicks, and if he tells you that new injectors need 'broken in'...... RUN!!!!!! :eek:
#2 - Get a new chip - one that is burned specifically for your new injectors and combo... 30 lb-er's are fine for stock turbo, stock-ish everything else... TurboTweak is now recognized as THE gold standard, and the $85 (I think) you spend for his chip will be worth it's weight in gold.... since you already spent $$ on new injectors, I would recommend you use them while you LEARN (and there's ALOT!!!! to learn) about these cars... they will serve you well as you learn (and save $$ for later upgrades...:biggrin: ) You will also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to go with the new chip (if you don't already have one). TurboTweak Home
#3 - Following a new chip, the very next dollar you spend on your car should be for a SCANTOOL or some sort... most turbobuick guys use the Scanmaster at a minimum... and learn how to use it....
#4 - DO NOT run the car hard (wot) until you are SURE it is tuned properly and not running too lean.... you WILL blow headgaskets or worse if you don't heed this advice.... and that gets REAL expensive, REAL quick....
#5 - READ, READ, READ..... here, and at Turbo Regal Web Site These cars are very particular and finicky, but are extremely satisfying when you get them figured out. Read the 'Tech Articles' at the above site, and devour as much info as you can. Hours and hours are required here.... I've had my car for nearly 15 years and been a member of one forum or another the whole time.... and I still learn something nearly everytime I get online.... :)

Get the chip first.... that is likely why the car is running crappy... the chip MUST match the injectors or the fuelling is all wrong.... and the stock chip sucks, even with stock injectors...if it still runs bad after the chip change, post back and we'll figure it out...

Welcome to the darkside!! :cool: Your wallet will NOT thank you!! :eek: :redface:

+1

Other things to check, before you condem the injs..
All grounds clean and tite?
Plug wires on correctly?
Ign module mount grounded?
Injs plugged in correctly?
Vac leaks because an o'ring got cut?

Bottom line: Until you get familar w/ the car, I'd suggest you find someone that has one of these cars, and get some help w/ it. [AND, that's NOT the dude that suggested injs need to be "broken in"!!!]
And, maybe add your location in the title?? Makes it alot easier for folks to help, etc, when they know where you are... There may be a TR guy next door!

Other things to check, before you condem the injs..
All grounds clean and tite?
Plug wires on correctly?
Ign module mount grounded?
Injs plugged in correctly?
Vac leaks because an o'ring got cut?

Bottom line: Until you get familar w/ the car, I'd suggest you find someone that has one of these cars, and get some help w/ it. [AND, that's NOT the dude that suggested injs need to be "broken in"!!!]
And, maybe add your location in the title?? Makes it alot easier for folks to help, etc, when they know where you are... There may be a TR guy next door!

+1 The car should run just fine with those injectors. I would look for other issues first.

Thanx a bunch bro. I'm very new to these cars and sometimes its a headache but i like these cars. I'll take your advice and get that chip and fire that mechanic. If I have anything else I'll let u know. Again thanx 4 your advice.

Could also..

Thanx a bunch bro. I'm very new to these cars and sometimes its a headache but i like these cars. I'll take your advice and get that chip and fire that mechanic. If I have anything else I'll let u know. Again thanx 4 your advice.

be, that the injs you got, have been on the shelf for some time. IF, they have dried out, then there may be at least 1that's stuck shut.:eek:
I just cleaned a set of new, FMS 36's... Same deal. The customer had bought them from a speed shop. He put them in the engine, ran like crap.. 2 were not opening.:mad: