Fuel in my oil, rough and inconsistant idle

John Davidson

Hey everybody.

I am in the process of diagnosing why I have gasoline in my oil. I have gone through 3 oil changes as I do not want the oil thinned out and have my engine and turbo damaged. The idle is also rough and inconsistent (i.e. idles high, then low/normal, then back to high).

Anybody have this happen? I can only conclude that one or more injectors are staying open or are gummed up and leaking down. Could the regulator contribute??

Background story briefly: I brought my car home after sitting for the better part of the previous 15 or so years. Started right up after oil and coolant change, fuel tank drained and replaced with new fuel and filter. Have replaced O2 and MAT sensors (so far).

Thanks for the look, and any input!

I wouldn't even try to diagnose a turbo Regal that sat for that long. I'd put new (larger) injectors on there with a matching chip from turbotweak.com

I wouldn't even try to diagnose a turbo Regal that sat for that long. I'd put new (larger) injectors on there with a matching chip from turbotweak.com

While that thought (as well as several others) have crossed my mind, I am trying to minimize the upgrades until I can get it running and idling properly (and until my budget expands for the car). The engine is bone stock, and the odometer reads a little over 27k miles (both Carfax and Autocheck verify). In time (and money), I will upgrade for maximum performance. I want to keep it as stock as possible to just drive and enjoy the car this summer and fall.

While that thought (as well as several others) have crossed my mind, I am trying to minimize the upgrades until I can get it running and idling properly (and until my budget expands for the car). The engine is bone stock, and the odometer reads a little over 27k miles (both Carfax and Autocheck verify). In time (and money), I will upgrade for maximum performance. I want to keep it as stock as possible to just drive and enjoy the car this summer and fall.

Start by not driving it until you figure out what it is .. if it's hemorrhaging fuel from bad injectors your gonna wash out the cylinders and kill your rings pretty quick.. then your gonna be doing a rebuild.

Start by looking at the plugs .. that will tell you a bunch .. you replaced the O2 with a delco unit correct ?

Go through all the spring cleaning steps and check for the basics

If it's one stuck injector doing it all you have to do is pull the plugs. One will be black as my soul.

When you start the car, does it blow a big puff of black smoke out the tail pipe?

And don't think of a new set of 60's as an 'upgrade', think of them as 'preventive maintenance on a wear item that's exceeded its lifespan'

Start by not driving it until you figure out what it is .. if it's hemorrhaging fuel from bad injectors your gonna wash out the cylinders and kill your rings pretty quick.. then your gonna be doing a rebuild.

Start by looking at the plugs .. that will tell you a bunch .. you replaced the O2 with a delco unit correct ?

Go through all the spring cleaning steps and check for the basics

Yeah, DEFINITELY not driving it till I get this squared. I am trying to avoid a rebuild at this time.

I chose to replace the O2 with a Denso unit. It was not Bosch, as most of what I have read indicates that people have more trouble with them than they are worth, and I heard there were issues with Delco's quality.

The original plugs were ALL fouled badly. I have since been checking the new plugs, but have no indication yet of fouling. But again, I am not running the engine for long periods of time for obvious reasons.

Thank you 89!

If it's one stuck injector doing it all you have to do is pull the plugs. One will be black as my soul.

When you start the car, does it blow a big puff of black smoke out the tail pipe?

And don't think of a new set of 60's as an 'upgrade', think of them as 'preventive maintenance on a wear item that's exceeded its lifespan'

I have not noticed any black smoke out the tailpipe. I have to charge my battery for the first start this year, likely later this week. I will be looking.

And would putting a set of 60's on a stock motor be overkill?...OK OK OK...no such thing. Lol. I agree, but for now, a replacement set of Tomco's are likely to fit the bill right now.

Thanks Earl!

I have not noticed any black smoke out the tailpipe. I have to charge my battery for the first start this year, likely later this week. I will be looking.

And would putting a set of 60's on a stock motor be overkill?...OK OK OK...no such thing. Lol. I agree, but for now, a replacement set of Tomco's are likely to fit the bill right now.

Thanks Earl!

Do yourself a favor ... get the 60's .. newer tech injector that will idle , drive like a stocker .. 60's are overkill for a stock turbo car but you sure as heck aren't giving anything up by using them.

I would just do a few things to it and I think it will give you a small taste of what these cars can do .. and leave the door open for future mods ..

HP Air cleaner, Test Pipe , Fuel pump ( DW300) with hotwire , 60# injectors, TT chip , scanmaster . IF you shop around you can probably do all of it for $600 and it will more than impress you going from a stocker . you wont even recognize the car.

Not overkill at all. The work just as good as WORKING stockers (which you don't have) and won't go lean if you ever decide to start doing flow improvements, alky, and/or up the boost.

Your injectors are too old to function correctly and your chip is burned for fuel that hasn't been available for decades.

Not overkill at all. The work just as good as WORKING stockers (which you don't have) and won't go lean if you ever decide to start doing flow improvements, alky, and/or up the boost.

Your injectors are too old to function correctly and your chip is burned for fuel that hasn't been available for decades.

Actually, good points. Highest probability the stock injectors are not functioning appropriately, and the fuel chemistry has definitely changed. Well said.

Thank you

I had a few injectors that were stuck closed. I used a 9 volt battery with a couple of wires to figure out which ones. I gave each one a few little whacks and they've been fine ever since. You could always try that to see if you can at least get then freed up until you get a new set. It was also suggested that I put a quart of tranny fluid in a full tank of gas. Lubrication and cleaning. In a full tank you shouldn't notice much if any smoke.