Fuel Consumption

black84

I just finished installing a dual fan, scan master, fuel pressure regulator, maf pipe w/kn filter and I believe its called a "Patriot" chip. After installing I set the fuel pressure regulator at 45 with the vaccum line off. I then took it to work the following day with a full tank of gas and barely made it to work. Needless to say I wasted $40.00 dollars roundtrip and work is only 35 miles from my house. My gn is currently all stock except for the above mentioned stuff and a walboro 340 hot wired. Any help is always greatly appreciated.

I also noticed that after I stop driving the car, there's a heavy odor of gasoline. Thanks

you may be running too much fuel pressure. also, check all the hoses and connections and schraeder valve for leaks. look under the car as it sits turned off. there are little o rings that go on thte male ends of the fittings on the pressure regulator that soetimes get worn down and cause fuel leaks. the dealer has these o rings for cheap.

Heavy fuel consumption...Help please

Ok guys... just to give a brief description of engine.....

te-60 turbo
cas v2 fmic
trw .030 over pistons
50 lb injectors
red's 93 chip
champion iron heads
atr 313b cam
atr dual 2.5" ss catback, th 3" dp

Ok basically I had issues with the blm's being pegged at 150 before hand in which changing injectors from previous 42.5lb's helped plenty bring my bl's down between ranging from 131-136 although sometimes they shoot to 151 for about 10 minutes and come back down to 130's.....No vac leaks either.....everything has been checked...and again bl's are at most of the time in the 130's range with the exception I mentioned in the previous sentence.I also have an issue where I see my fuel level on the needle just shoot from say 3 quarters of the tank full of gas down to 1/4 tank while I am giving thr car gas.( I am not sure if this is normal with older gm cars, mind you I am 25 and oldest car I have had was a 1991 hyndai excel that this issue never even occured as far as needle goes). I really would liketo try and figure this out on my own...especially being that I found some bad vac lines, bad maf, and help from "Razor" in person here from this board being 2 of my injectors were stuck. I know I will not have the best mpg but MAN!!....anything is better then 5-10 mpg.

Btw fp is set to 43 line off. and turbo is set to 15 psi. I hope anyone can help. This has been the deciding factor for me either selling or keeping this beautiful car but I can only deal with so much.. This car has had issues from day 1 since I bought it 1 1/2 years ago, and yes I do realize it's almost 20 years old but man I have no luck as of yet. Oh and forgot to mention I also have a 9" Art Carr 3000 stall lock up converter, if by any chance this is partial to my issue. Idle has also been an issue with this car bouncing from 600-1000 rpm ....always jumping around in that range.

THANKS ALOT guys...hope someone can offer good help. Sorry if this explanation comes off with alot of rambling on but I am at my wits end on this car.

Nick

Jeez, you put a regulator on it and drove for 35 miles without checking for leaks? Damn, you better start playing the lottery!

The FPR oring probably tore. The FPR Oring is the same as an injector oring. Any auto parts store will have them for a GN PFI car.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Jeez, you put a regulator on it and drove for 35 miles without checking for leaks? Damn, you better start playing the lottery!

The FPR oring probably tore. The FPR Oring is the same as an injector oring. Any auto parts store will have them for a GN PFI car.

Since I cant edit, I meant GM PFI not GN.

Fuiel level gauges in GM cars are crap after a few years. Every one of my cars...with the exception of the '79 the fuel level will take forever to go from full to 3/4, then from 3/4 to E will happen in about 40 miles.....You just learn to use the trip meter and fill up after 200 miles or so... This shouldn't be a deciding factor in getting rid of the car, you're 90% of the way finished now.
If you want to check your fuel consumption, fill up the tank, note the miles, then when you fill up again, note how many gallons it took to fill up, divide MILES DRIVEN by GALLONs = your mpg.

Otherwise, going by the gauge may not be telling you the real story. Should get about 16-22 mpg

I recently took my AFPR off and carefully put it back on and it leaked bad. The o ring got a gash in it. Please double check for a leak at the regulator.

Ron

FWIW & IMHO:
If you do not use some type of lubricant on the "O" ring prior to either installation or re-installation, it is very difficult to get the assembly back in without doing some damage to the "O" ring. The "O" ring can leak fuel where it is difficult to see sometimes.

roughly 70miles and 20 gallons of fuel is 3.5 MPG! :eek:

if you dont have a fuel leak, then go purchase a locking gas cap.

maybe someone stole your fuel:D

BW

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
roughly 70miles and 20 gallons of fuel is 3.5 MPG! :eek:

if you dont have a fuel leak, then go purchase a locking gas cap.

maybe someone stole your fuel:D

BW

yeah.
I can't imagine the car being able to burn that much fuel, and run worth a crap. There must be a leak.

crap!!! BLACK84 Sorry man....I did not mean to hijack or place my problem in this thread...I thought I hAd started my own...again I apologize...I'll start one of my own...

heavy fuel consumpption or is it me??

Ok guys... just to give a brief description of engine.....

te-60 turbo
cas v2 fmic
trw .030 over pistons
50 lb injectors
red's 93 chip
champion iron heads
atr 313b cam
atr dual 2.5" ss catback, th 3" dp

Ok basically I had issues with the blm's being pegged at 150 before hand in which changing injectors from previous 42.5lb's helped plenty bring my bl's down between ranging from 131-136 although sometimes they shoot to 151 for about 10 minutes and come back down to 130's.....No vac leaks either.....everything has been checked...and again bl's are at most of the time in the 130's range with the exception I mentioned in the previous sentence.I also have an issue where I see my fuel level on the needle just shoot from say 3 quarters of the tank full of gas down to 1/4 tank while I am giving thr car gas.( I am not sure if this is normal with older gm cars, mind you I am 25 and oldest car I have had was a 1991 hyndai excel that this issue never even occured as far as needle goes). I really would liketo try and figure this out on my own...especially being that I found some bad vac lines, bad maf, and help from "Razor" in person here from this board being 2 of my injectors were stuck. I know I will not have the best mpg but MAN!!....anything is better then 5-10 mpg.

Btw fp is set to 43 line off. and turbo is set to 15 psi. I hope anyone can help. This has been the deciding factor for me either selling or keeping this beautiful car but I can only deal with so much.. This car has had issues from day 1 since I bought it 1 1/2 years ago, and yes I do realize it's almost 20 years old but man I have no luck as of yet. Oh and forgot to mention I also have a 9" Art Carr 3000 stall lock up converter, if by any chance this is partial to my issue. Idle has also been an issue with this car bouncing from 600-1000 rpm ....always jumping around in that range.

THANKS ALOT guys...hope someone can offer good help. Sorry if this explanation comes off with alot of rambling on but I am at my wits end on this car. By the way being tht a previosu reply on another thread I saw is possible that my gauge may be flakey will buying a new one solve my problem or is there something else I have to look at?

Nick

Yeah I retried placing a new post but I imagine since both topics were similar they just threw in my problem into your post. Thanks again.

Nick