FU**IN Autozone junk water pump!!!!

People who know, Don't go to Autozone. lol. I think they've since changed their slogan to Get in the zone! I'll drive the extra ten minutes to O'reilly for better parts and service.

I got mine at Summit 30% more flow been on the car a year no probs...I happened to be driving by there i was buying shirts and por 20 and and asked if they had a buick water pump (not thinking they actually would:rolleyes: cause usually when you ask for buick stuff they go o_O) And whattaya know they had one in stock!!!!!!

It's a 3.8 ltr GM motor there were quite a few on the road. It's a water pump your not going to find some engineering master piece when they re furbish them. ACdelco will put anything into their boxes nowadays so I don't think it matters too much where you buy it or who you buy it from. It's all hit or miss.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I also miss Chief Autoparts.

Me too.

IMAG1279.jpg

I miss Supershops....back in the 80's.

Me too! It was a fun place to be employed at as a kid. lol

I still have a ton of their store signs & banners.. Plus the back room shop workbench and their Paxton Supercharger SN95 display. The manager gave it all to me as Super Shops closed up shop.

Wonder why anyone buys parts from Autozone/Advance etc anymore unless its an emergency. RockAuto is by far the best replacement parts supplier, they have everything from the cheap crap they sell at Auotozone to Delco parts, all priced way less than anywhere else.

As far as most Delco parts being made in China nowadays, its true. The difference between the Delco stuff and Duralast is the quality control. I have been buying Delco replacement for all my GM's from RockAuto for years now and not one failed part or part that needed premature replacement. They have standards before these parts go in their boxes, made in China or not. Not all Chinese manufacturers make crap parts, some are more organized, have better workers, and better equipment than manufacturers here in the US. It just so happens that most of them put out poor quality and sub-standard parts which is where the perception comes from. Ive bought parts Made in the US that are absolute junk as well, you just dont hear about it often. Just shop around when buying parts for your TR and dont make the mistake of buying the cheapest part, the statement "if it looks to good to be true...." always applies here.

.......It could be the ratio of antifreeze coolant,the radiator conditioner/stop leak,water pump lubricant or the cleaning/flushing of the cooling system or the correct belt tension that has a part in how the pump performs or lasts.

A water pump lasting only 4.6 miles is certainly defective. :(

But in the long run, I agree that the coolant solution has a major affect on water pumps as well as the other parts in the cooling system.

We have been using RMI-25 since the early 90's, and have MANY cars still with the original water pump, heater core, hoses, and we not have had many cooling system issues as the chemical balance of the cooling system has been kept proper.

When I turned on many of my tech friends to RMI, they were very skeptical of this "new snake oil", but quickly became believers. :)

I will conclude this post like I did years ago in an article I published that "proper cooling system maintaince does not cost, it pays"!

Never had to change the water pump but I've had good luck with everything I've bought from Autozone except stock MAF's.

I never, never buy parts from Autozone. I have had too ,any issues with their electrical and mechanical parts. Wouldn't even think about buying anything from there to put on my GN. If oreilly doesn't have it, i will just wait until they can get it in. I brought a water from oreilly for my GN about 5yrs back and it's still running just fine. Plus it has lifetime warranty. I would also get one from highway stars also

It's a 3.8 ltr GM motor there were quite a few on the road. It's a water pump your not going to find some engineering master piece when they re furbish them. ACdelco will put anything into their boxes nowadays so I don't think it matters too much where you buy it or who you buy it from. It's all hit or miss.

I was going to answer this but 87gninpa
(Post #28) pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's all in the Quality control.

Where I work, there is an Autozone literally next door. I get everything from over there, just because it is so close and they take care of us. Everybody says "NAPA" or "OREILLYS!!!"....same shit. I posted originally, it is all about quality control, or lack of. I have an Advanced auto parts water pump on my car and it has done just fine, no problems. Next one I purchase will probably fail the first time I put a belt on it.

I bet it all comes from the same place anyways....JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just replaced the autozone water pump in my work truck 10 years and 120k miles and they gave me another over the counter... No problems here.