Front suspension upgrade

slim86

young grasshopper
I've done some searching on here and have only seen a few members mention converting the front spindles and brakes to "A" body stuff. So heres what i'm looking at, i am scrapping my 1970 chevelle project and would like to put what i have onto my buick. What do you guys think about putting SC&C double adjustable uppers with Howe tall upper and lower ball joints along with the A body spindles and steering arms and my cross drilled and slotted rotors and calipers. Will this set up work? I'm assumming that as with the chevelle the buick has the bumpsteer issues that im hoping the ball joints will address and the larger rotors and calipers shouldn't hurt braking either. And i have new Moog springs to put on as well. Thanks

I've done some searching on here and have only seen a few members mention converting the front spindles and brakes to "A" body stuff. So heres what i'm looking at, i am scrapping my 1970 chevelle project and would like to put what i have onto my buick. What do you guys think about putting SC&C double adjustable uppers with Howe tall upper and lower ball joints along with the A body spindles and steering arms and my cross drilled and slotted rotors and calipers. Will this set up work? I'm assumming that as with the chevelle the buick has the bumpsteer issues that im hoping the ball joints will address and the larger rotors and calipers shouldn't hurt braking either. And i have new Moog springs to put on as well. Thanks

A body stuff I have no idea about, but I seem to remember people saying the B body spindles caused a lot of bumpsteer.

Ive been drooling over the SC&C double adjustable uppers for a while now too..:biggrin: I'm planning on getting a set of those and using my GBody tubular lowers with either some Eibach or 1LE springs. Thinking about a Blazer ZQ8 spindle, which uses a hub bearing like the LS1 cars do from the factory. This setup will allow 12" rotors in the front, but you need a minimum 16" wheel for them to fit. I also have thier HD frame brace on my car and it fits great. May do a new swaybar as well, but time will tell.

Talk to Mark at SC&C. I am thinking the A-arms will cause some issues.

Rob

I will def be calling him monday he was a big help with my set up on the chevelle. I originally was going with the B body spindles for the 12" rotors at first on my chevelle, but mark told me that was even worse than the factory stuff with the adjustable uppers and tall ball joints that i ended up getting from him. would the A-arms cause the issue, or the steering arm and spindles? like my chevelle; on the GN im keeping the factory lowers and putting poly bushings on them with the adjustable uppers if i can use them.

A and B body have the same height spindle. The difference is the brake rotor in some cases. The interchange with minor issues.

front suspension

A and B body have the same height spindle. The difference is the brake rotor in some cases. The interchange with minor issues.

Might have been the steering arm then, its been awhile...so are you saying that the A body stuff would be ok on the G body?

Might have been the steering arm then, its been awhile...so are you saying that the A body stuff would be ok on the G body?

Providing you've got the correct after market upper arms. The metric chasis changed from B to G in 80 so you have to understand the way GM did it.

Hi Slim, `64-`72 A body and `78-`88 G body (yes, `78-`80 are still technically called A body although they are G body format) are roughly similar in format but for the most part nothing interchanges. The ball joints and tie rod ends have different tapers, the spindles are different formats (`64-`72 is modular, `78-`88 G is not), the A body A arms are longer/have different mounting dimensions and the upper arms mount at different angles in plan view. `73-`77 A body and `78-`96 B body have interchangable parts but neither interchanges properly with `78-`88 G body. The only things that have been used with any degree of success are the spindles and as we all know that`s only marginally succesful at best. You`re better off sticking with one format and optimizing it rather than trying to swap things from others cars and making life harder than it needs to be. ;) Mark SC&C