Front end sitting too high question...

fullahotair

Hi all:

I getting my car put back together after a body off resto that i have been doing for quite some time. The problem is my car sits IMO really high in the front, (29 inchs and change from the ground to the fender). Unfortunately i don't recall the moog spring i put in the front, but i am certain is was a stock ride hieght whether be for the buick or the f-body.

When i put the springs and a-arms on, nothing was on the frame, not even the body and I have read on here that i may need to loosen the A-arms, allow it to readjust, and retighten with all the weight back on the car?? The car isn't road worthy yet, but i don't see how the springs could settle a full 2 inches +/-. The engine is currently sitting in the car, but there are a few pounds to be added (hood, radiator, tranny, IC, etc...not a terrible amount though). SO my question is: Should I expect that loosening and retightening the A-arms to make a difference? or should i look into new springs?

Sorry for the lenghty post!

Thanks!
Nate

It will settle and all the other stuff will make a difference also. I would keep going assembling at this point.

you still have a good 300-400lbs to add to the front of the car, and brand new springs do take some time to settle. Continue with the assembly and let the springs feel all the weight, and you'll notice it settle down after a couple weeks.

Thanks for the feedback...i'll keep chugging forward and we'll see what happens...hopefully they will settle...

Thanks!
Nate

Did you go to the parts store and get "replacement" Moog springs? If so, you probably got the 5662 springs. One thing to check is if the spring is seated in the rubber gromet on top in the spring perch. This is the most common problem.

I don't recall exactly what i ordered, I bought the springs almost 3 years ago. I researched on here what springs to get, I believe there is an F-body spring that offers the same ride height, but firmer...i think i may have ordered this set, but i can't be certain. I do know for a fact i wouldn't have ordered a set that would raise the car anyway. So at the very least it should be stock height...

Good point about making sure they are "set" properly. I am reasonably sure they are, but I will check that out to be certain.

Thanks guys...

Nate

If you want to change springs eventually, try Moog 5658. Should be 7/8" lower.

Check in the service manual about installing the front springs. They do have to be in a certain position. I believe the bottom where the spring ends has to be positioned over the sight hole in the bottom of the lower control arm.

I would think it would settle once all the other parts i.e. hood, trans, etc. are installed. I just replaced mine with new stock springs and noticed it sat a little high at first...

I agree, the spring has to be clocked in a certain position. On the bottom of the spring, the very end of it has to be seated in the back of the control arm. You will see in the control arm that the back side of the spring seat is lower than the front side.