Front Cover

Tommy reynolds

TR's 85
I have a water leak. I had a local repair shop check it out. They said it was the front cover. They want $300+ in labor to replace the gasket. I ordered a new front cover from GBody. I also ordered the oil filter housing.
Does anyone know of anybody in the Winston Salem,NC area that I could get an estimate from that knows these cars.

Do it yourself, work slow, use zip locks for bolts, use right gaskets with RTV(maybe) Don't start then leave it there, just work slowly. DIY job IMO

Hi Tommy,

Do you mean a water pump or a front cover? There's no reason to replace the front cover unless it's cracked. If it's the water pump gasket, just replace the entire pump for $20 to $30. It's not a hard job to replace the water pump and worst case scenerio we could replace it at Richard Clark's shop.

Hello Eric
How is it going with your car?
My water leak is comming from the front cover/timing cover. I thought about doing it myself. I thought it might be a good idea to replace the cover. I want know if it is cracked until it is removed. I lined my rear brakes and parked it for about 2 weeks. The next time I drove it it was leaking. My main concern with DIY is getting the cam sensor installed properly.

My car's coming along slowly. I'm waiting on the heads to come in (hopefully today) before I can continue.

I spent a good amount of time this weekend wrenching on another Hot Air that was purchased by a local guy named Tommy Bishop. He had exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks, 84/85 MAF on a 86/87 ECM and maybe still other issues that we have yet find and address.

If it's not leaking too bad I'd take it over to Richard's. He's got all the goodies to do this job.