front cover wear from cam button ?

BlackBeauty

Hey everyone, quick question. I took off my front cover, and there is a circle worn into it by the cam button. It's not too bad but it can certainly be seen and felt. Although the cam button is flat on the front, the front cover has less wear in the center (the outer part of the circle is deeper). How much wear is too much? I want to get a roller cam button, but not sure if I need a new front cover as well. Thanks in advance.

Angelo

don't know of a specific limit, but my rule of thumb is deeper than 1/16 of an inch.

Do a search here for the NAPA roller cam button, its the same thing, i know the part number is here somewhere...

Ive had good luck just smoothing the surface area and putting in the new button- No issues yet.
Surely a new button with no wear is better than a old plastic one with 1/8 wear, just as long as it keeps the cam in right?

BW

Yea, just smooth the cover over to get rid of the ridges and install roller cam button and you will be fine.

paul

Thanks for the replies. This is my first time tearing down a motor, so I am not sure what to look for in situations like the cam button wear.