front cover install issues

blkrs86

I put on new front timing cover and cam from postons.I go to install the cam sensor and it won't go.I think it is the cover because i already sent one cover back because one oil hole was bored through housing.then when i got this one I had to spend a lot of time to set up the pump...real poor quality part.after i got the pump assem. I tried the cam sensor to check allignment and all seemed o.k.After final assem.the bore is to close to cam and can't get it in.Either the cam gear is to big or the cover is sh#@!Any sugestions and who sells a good cover? :mad: :mad:

Are you certain its not just the alignment of the oil pump shaft slot?

Installing a cam sensor is not just a drop in deal. The helical style gears on the cam sensor and cam make installation a bit of trial and error; to align the blade on the tip of the cam sensor to the slot at the end of the oil pump shaft..I'm sure you know this..just checking

The sensor won't even go in far enough to contact the pump shaft.It starts to lean to drivers side and upper boss area won't go in bore.Has to be cover or the cam. :mad: I'll guess I'll pull the cover and dry fit the old one and see if it works.What a PIA!! :mad:

from experience...

Take that cover and stick it in the trash. I had a friend here in town that could not figure out why he was eating cam sensor gears. We took the front cover off and started investigating. What we found was the cam sensor was installing too deep downward thus not engaging the cam sensor drive gear correctly. There was a mark on the inside of the timing cover from the cam button that marked the center of the cam. We could then see the engagement problem. The cam sensor was about 3/16" to deep. Its just like setting up a rear diff....if its not meshed correctly then it is gonna chew up the gears. We went round and round with postons. When they finally saw what we were talking about and that it was there fault/problem they gave him a new cam and cam sensor gear. Whoever machines the front covers for postons does a half-@$$ed job. Stick with a stock GM cover. Hope this helps. Jeremy

I sell Silver Seal brand timing covers and have never had any issues with them. Though you should always check and deburr the oil passages as with any cover.

I just bought fiberglass front an rear bumper feelers from Poston's an they were made form some very bad molds. Finally ended up with having my body shop just redue them to get them to the point I will put them onmy car.. As far as a front cover goes I had heard of people having problems with these before.. So I went with a TA PAerf. Front Cover . Although expensive $490.00 it has a adj. oil psi feature an is hand made an ready to go with pump an all!

conclusion

I pulled off cover,took my original gm cover and slid it on.no oil pump in and the cam sensor went right in and had small backlash so iknew nothing was bound.Did the same with Postons and the gears bind. :mad: Put both covers side by side face down on bench.Put sensor in and used calipers measured over from bolt hole in cover just for reference and the Postons is about .060" closer to cam.Low quality junk! Of course Poston claims they have sold hundreds of these and never had a problem :confused: they think I am not assem. correct.Sending back and they say if I'm right they will credit me.Bought a oem from my chevy dealer today for 50$ more than that piece of sh#@ from Postons.Lesson learned.

they say that they sell hundreds huh? and no problems? remind them of the one that Reggie Simien in Louisiana had that was machined incorrectly and how they gave him a new cam and gear because there junk tore it up. it doesnt take an engineer to see that the problem is in their cover. good luck, jeremy

I have a Pioneer front cover,have used Silver Seal also and the only real issues are the pump passages. But who know maybe this one will be the bad one when I go to put the cam sensor in. :confused: