Front cover, cam sensor, and ATR Roller Cam Problems

Zacks 85GN

Zman
Finally getting the motor together and installed the cam and front cover. Tried to install the cam sensor and it will not seat all the way down, app. 3/16". We have turned the motor over to engage the oil pump shaft and it will drop down like it has engged the oil pump but will not go that last 3/16". The cam sensor is turning when I turn the engine over. What I have is a ATR 309G roller cam, a new HV front cover from MMC (about 4 or 5 years ago), and a stock 85 cam sensor. Any Ideas? There were no instructions with the cam kit, hope I got the gear and spacer on right, only looked like one way it could go on. Search did not turn up much.

Thanks

I would pull it back out and inspect it for a tight spot. Look for a spot where its binding and left its mark. Im thinking the last part of the sensor to go in. Like the top ring. Just a thought. Good Luck.

spacer

Does the roller cam setup use an eccentic spacer from an old Buick? If so you may have it in backwards.

Lee Thompson said:
Does the roller cam setup use an eccentic spacer from an old Buick? If so you may have it in backwards.

Lee, It came with a new Aluminum spacer in the kit. It looks like it should only go on one way. I will pull it back appart and check it.

Thanks for the replys,
Zack & Jim

There have been a number of problems recently with bad machining of the front covers. Might as well check that, while you have it apart. On some, the bore for the cam sensor seems to be mislocated- too close to the front of the engine- so the cam sensor won't "drop in". Others may be too far away, but that would not be easy to see. Maybe a thicker gasket would help, with the "too close" problem.