Front bumper impact strip

As the original owner of this car I like updating. I shaved the door locks and trunk lock years ago, also got rid of all the emblems except the one on the grill. I'm having GNX style heat extractors added to the front fenders but they will be flush. The hole for the power antenna is being filled and I'll have a hidden antenna.

On the interior, since I have no door locks with shaved handles I've made new upper panels. The little hump where the door lock sits has been smoothed out and the window switches moved to the lower panel where the door lock switches usually sit. All leather interior.
Love what you're doing with the heat extractors that not only look great but are functional as well. Do post pictures of the car when it is finished. I like that as an original owner you're making it your own & not worried of resale value.

Nice..... I like how you did the vents in the fenders. I was thinking about using the GNX style, but didn't like how they attached. Your's are awesome. Great idea. How did you do it? I'm not putting any badges on my car. I like that plain "grandfather's car" look. Originally, I was thinking about painting it in matte, but never saw an entire car done in matte and now I regret it so much. I'm so mad I didn't have it done in matte and I don't have about $9k to have it redone. Good luck. Post some pictures when it's done. Just don't do it in matte.....
The vents are 3 sided slices and then bent in. Sheet metal strips welded in to make the top and bottom. I was going to do the GNX fender vents and Mike thought this would look better with everything else already smoothed out. I’m not a fan of the matte black but that’s just a personal preference.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the doors with the handles shaved and the old paint. Then some more I took yesterday having body work and paint done.

I’ll post pics of everything inside and out when it’s done.

Attachments

• 722078D8-4892-45B3-8BFE-73649B1D2370.jpeg
    722078D8-4892-45B3-8BFE-73649B1D2370.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 74A40BC2-3177-4E91-81CF-2EECBD920EAB.jpeg
    74A40BC2-3177-4E91-81CF-2EECBD920EAB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 22DEBAE4-3907-4B4D-8549-9A5A21295DCA.jpeg
    22DEBAE4-3907-4B4D-8549-9A5A21295DCA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 9D2CAA94-9BF2-450B-AF08-335A3E689D24.jpeg
    9D2CAA94-9BF2-450B-AF08-335A3E689D24.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 4B16E790-DA8A-4955-8F89-EA4CE378C291.jpeg
    4B16E790-DA8A-4955-8F89-EA4CE378C291.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 1F3E113C-8DA5-4657-BD1D-E543E2AD0636.jpeg
    1F3E113C-8DA5-4657-BD1D-E543E2AD0636.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The vents are 3 sided slices and then bent in. Sheet metal strips welded in to make the top and bottom. I was going to do the GNX fender vents and Mike thought this would look better with everything else already smoothed out. I’m not a fan of the matte black but that’s just a personal preference.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the doors with the handles shaved and the old paint. Then some more I took yesterday having body work and paint done.

I’ll post pics of everything inside and out when it’s done.

How do you open the doors? I like that..... Also, looks like your deck lid was in pretty decent shape. Almost all that I've seen that were original were in really bad shape. My car was always garaged, yet the deck lid rusted away. Don't get it..... Oh, also, thanks for not liking the "matte" look.... Post some pics when it's done. Want to see it.

Chris Kirk you check out my posts on sitting at paint shop in body and show car restorations some nice info for you on your paint job

Your bumper strip doesn't look that bad. I'd pressure wash the rest of the white strip off, remove it and treat it a few times with Yamaha silicone spray. Odds are it'll be satin black and shining like a new nickel.

Most people have never heard of the stuff but it's what I use on all my plastics and tires. I discovered it when I was racing out of a motorcycle shop. It's intended use is for winterizing watercrafts. You basically hose down the engine, plastics, electricals, etc. It wards off corrosion, rust, displaces moisture and introduces plasticizers back into the workpiece.

If you don't have a Yamaha shop close by, Amazon has it https://amzn.to/2UZCJjD

Your bumper strip doesn't look that bad. I'd pressure wash the rest of the white strip off, remove it and treat it a few times with Yamaha silicone spray. Odds are it'll be satin black and shining like a new nickel.

Most people have never heard of the stuff but it's what I use on all my plastics and tires. I discovered it when I was racing out of a motorcycle shop. It's intended use is for winterizing watercrafts. You basically hose down the engine, plastics, electricals, etc. It wards off corrosion, rust, displaces moisture and introduces plasticizers back into the workpiece.

If you don't have a Yamaha shop close by, Amazon has it https://amzn.to/2UZCJjD
I spray similar silicone spray all over my marine outboards keeps the salt water corrosion off them
have to try on some of my auto plastics

I can't tell you how many gray faded motorcycle plastics and plastic door handles that stuff has brought back. It's awesome.

They did reformulate it a few years ago to make it better... and it doesn't work as well anymore. I still buy it buy the case because I have
over 60 tires at my house. lol