Front bumper impact strip

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Looking at restoring a few things over the winter time and my front bumper impact strip needs to be replaced. Does the entire front bumper need to come off for this?
35BF8DE9-C287-420D-B097-19239EC4F3DB.jpeg

If you are going to put a new strip on you might as well take the bumper off and paint it based on the condition of the paint in the picture.

Here’s a few pics of the back side of bumper where impact strips attach

Attachments

• D41551EE-9D40-4A44-A17A-1768F7C5FF3C.jpeg
    D41551EE-9D40-4A44-A17A-1768F7C5FF3C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • 668E4DBD-B4BC-4A3A-A8E4-6B03B4B2ECD5.jpeg
    668E4DBD-B4BC-4A3A-A8E4-6B03B4B2ECD5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
Looking at restoring a few things over the winter time and my front bumper impact strip needs to be replaced. Does the entire front bumper need to come off for this?View attachment 332499

Take the impact strips off and smooth out the bumpers. Looks so much better without them. Also, get rid of the wheel well trim while you're at it.

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    872.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2066.JPG
    IMG_2066.JPG
    944.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2605.JPG
    IMG_2605.JPG
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    950.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 206.JPG
    206.JPG
    958 KB · Views: 78
Eddie Hildebrandt. He's the owner of Philadelphia Auto body. He did a complete frame-off restoration for me. Excellent craftsmanship.

His work is phenomenal. He rebuilt my deck lid (because they rust so bad) and it's absolutely flawless.

Attachments

• IMG_2016 (1).JPG
    IMG_2016 (1).JPG
    802.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2017 (1).JPG
    IMG_2017 (1).JPG
    795.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2018 (1).JPG
    IMG_2018 (1).JPG
    756.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2019 (1).JPG
    IMG_2019 (1).JPG
    821.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2023 (1).JPG
    IMG_2023 (1).JPG
    814.3 KB · Views: 54
Take the impact strips off and smooth out the bumpers. Looks so much better without them. Also, get rid of the wheel well trim while you're at it.
My car is in the shop being painted now. I'm having that done to the bumpers while it's there. Mike who works at RC's garage is doing mine.

My car is in the shop being painted now. I'm having that done to the bumpers while it's there. Mike who works at RC's garage is doing mine.

Nice! As you can tell in most of my posts or retorts, I'm not real big on nostalgia. That's for old people..... You want nostalgia go to a museum..... There are many, many things I love about these cars, but over time some things just become "dated" and the bumpers and wheel well trim are the best and easiest things to give these cars a more streamline look. I like the plain look of the regal and nowadays most younger people don't know what they are. Several years ago (before I started the restoration) I blew by some wanna-be race car. When they finally caught up they asked what motor was in it. I said "it's just a six cylinder" they didn't understand.

Good luck with your car!

Nice! As you can tell in most of my posts or retorts, I'm not real big on nostalgia. That's for old people..... You want nostalgia go to a museum..... There are many, many things I love about these cars, but over time some things just become "dated" and the bumpers and wheel well trim are the best and easiest things to give these cars a more streamline look. I like the plain look of the regal and nowadays most younger people don't know what they are. Several years ago (before I started the restoration) I blew by some wanna-be race car. When they finally caught up they asked what motor was in it. I said "it's just a six cylinder" they didn't understand.

Good luck with your car!
As the original owner of this car I like updating. I shaved the door locks and trunk lock years ago, also got rid of all the emblems except the one on the grill. I'm having GNX style heat extractors added to the front fenders but they will be flush. The hole for the power antenna is being filled and I'll have a hidden antenna.

On the interior, since I have no door locks with shaved handles I've made new upper panels. The little hump where the door lock sits has been smoothed out and the window switches moved to the lower panel where the door lock switches usually sit. All leather interior.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
As the original owner of this car I like updating. I shaved the door locks and trunk lock years ago, also got rid of all the emblems except the one on the grill. I'm having GNX style heat extractors added to the front fenders but they will be flush. The hole for the power antenna is being filled and I'll have a hidden antenna.

On the interior, since I have no door locks with shaved handles I've made new upper panels. The little hump where the door lock sits has been smoothed out and the window switches moved to the lower panel where the door lock switches usually sit. All leather interior.

Nice..... I like how you did the vents in the fenders. I was thinking about using the GNX style, but didn't like how they attached. Your's are awesome. Great idea. How did you do it? I'm not putting any badges on my car. I like that plain "grandfather's car" look. Originally, I was thinking about painting it in matte, but never saw an entire car done in matte and now I regret it so much. I'm so mad I didn't have it done in matte and I don't have about $9k to have it redone. Good luck. Post some pictures when it's done. Just don't do it in matte.....

Nice..... I like how you did the vents in the fenders. I was thinking about using the GNX style, but didn't like how they attached. Your's are awesome. Great idea. How did you do it? I'm not putting any badges on my car. I like that plain "grandfather's car" look. Originally, I was thinking about painting it in matte, but never saw an entire car done in matte and now I regret it so much. I'm so mad I didn't have it done in matte and I don't have about $9k to have it redone. Good luck. Post some pictures when it's done. Just don't do it in matte.....
Have it wrapped in matte? If you don't like it, take it off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can you take some pictures of your car. Sounds sweet.