Fresh Air Intake Systems?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I am the new owner of an '87 T-Type. The car is stock except for an after-market chip. I would like to install a new Fresh Air Intake System with a new air filter. I do not trust the K&N type filters after finding fine dust on the "clean" side of the filter on another vehicle that I own.

What is available out there that is fairly bolt on?

I have already searched the forum & haven't really found what I'm looking for. I saw a GN at a car show yesterday that had an Applied Technologies intake system on it that I liked the look of. Is this company still in business and if so how do I contact them? I have tried an I'net search without any luck.

Another question is... How do you change the OEM air filter? I have looked at the filter housing & can't figure out how it is supposed to come apart for servicing.

Thank you
~JM~

Thanks TurboTGuy.

Anyone else want to add anything?

I'm still stumped on how to open the OEM filter canister.

I've had good results with the AFE Pro-Guard 7. http://afepower.com/technology_detail.php?tech_id=6 No more fine dust downstream of the filter.

Do all the fresh air kits place the filter in front of the drivers side front tire?

The kit by Applied Technologies keeps the filter behind the headlight & protected from road debris & puddles. Unfortunately I'm beginning to believe that it is no longer being produced.

Thanks
~JM~

ATR is no longer around. I had their cold air system. It was a blue metal box that contained the filter. It was very restrictive IMO. If you don't like K&N you could try another filter co. like Amisol. Most Turbo Buicks are running with a K&N style filter.

hello; I only know of two CAI. The Big Mouth, and the Tin Man set up. The TM has a AFE filter and it's comparable to the K&N. In both cases you should get a hard pipe comming (happy now) from the inlet of the turbo. I got the TM and it took a little work to get it in and so far I'm happy with it. There not cheap as your going to find out about the TB parts.
have fun
IBBY

hello; I only know of two CAI. The Big Mouth, and the Tin Man set up. The TM has a AFE filter and it's comparable to the K&N. In both cases you should get a hard pipe coming (happy now) from the inlet of the turbo. I got the TM and it took a little work to get it in and so far I'm happy with it. There not cheap as your going to find out about the TB parts.
have fun
IBBY

Fixed

I think there is a wing nut in the middle of the air box when you pull the hose off of it.unscrew it and it will come apart.There maybe more to it seeing i havnt messed with one in a long time.

i also looked for a while before i decided on the one from Mark @ TR Custom Parts.
i just received it on saturday.and i am glad i decided on this one.very nice quality all fittings and sleeves come with it.
and best of all got it in 3 days.you will not be disappointed with anything you buy from TR Custom Parts.
good luck

Air Inlet

ANYTHING you purchase from Mark @ TR Custom Parts is "TOP NOTCH". He has almost everthing you need and is a GREAT person to deal with. His air inlet systems are the best. IMHO.

Russ

I think there is a wing nut in the middle of the air box when you pull the hose off of it.unscrew it and it will come apart.There maybe more to it seeing i havnt messed with one in a long time.

Jack Pot! That did it.

I should've been able to figure that out. Looks like its been a while since the filter was changed.

Thanks for the help everyone.
~JM~

I've had good results with the AFE Pro-Guard 7. Pro-GUARD 7 No more fine dust downstream of the filter.

Do all the fresh air kits place the filter in front of the drivers side front tire?

The kit by Applied Technologies keeps the filter behind the headlight & protected from road debris & puddles. Unfortunately I'm beginning to believe that it is no longer being produced.

Thanks
~JM~

Dude.. ATR went out of business like 5+ years ago.

KennyBell located the filter on top of the charcol cannister with a 5 or 6" line to a scoop integrated in the left air dam.
:cool:

I too have been try to decide between the "Big Mouth Cold Air Intake" from TR Custom Parts or the "Tin Man Cold Air Intake" what are the differances? Pro or Cons on both? Do they both perform the same?

I like the chrome option that Mark offers on his.

Any input would help, Thanks.

Kirban's still offers the Pete Tomka kit. This is what I have on my car & really like it. It has proven performance results. However, it costs more than the Big Mouth kit, but is the same price as the Tin Man setup.

For the money, I'd say go with the Big Mouth kit.

hello; Here's my impression of the Tin man and I don't know much about the Big Mouth. I have the TM and it went in OK after going in and out with it a few times but for the money the components should be top. And that I mean the conn. are not silicon and I know one is from the plumbers supply house. I did give mention to the vendor and the answer was that it works so basically why change? I did change mine and I'm happy with the system till I have to take it out for any other work as there's some massaging to get it correct.
that is all
IBBY

Kirban's still offers the Pete Tomka kit. This is what I have on my car & really like it. It has proven performance results....

Are there any pics or a description on this system? I'd like to know what all my options are.

Thank you
~JM~