Freon 12 @ $25 can on Ebay or switch to 134 @ $5 can?

Ssg Ken

I need several cans of Freon. Should I switch to the cheaper 134 in my stock a/c unit with 27,000 miles?

shoot her full of Freeze 12.

legal R-12 replacement, cools like R12 and is 35 bucks for 3 cans, and oil charge and fill hose.

A seller on Ebay says:

Freeze-12 Refrigerant = R134a

Thinking about using Freeze-12 refrigerant?
You may be surprised to learn that it is nothing more than a blend of R134a and HCFC 142.
Most of the "alternative" refrigerants are really nothing more than a slightly different blend with a fancy can. If you are unlucky, you actually get propane, butane, or some other flammable gas.
ALTERNATIVE REFRIGERANT BLENDS
  • Free Zone (RB-276). Supplied by Refrigerant Gases, this blend contains 79% R-134a, 19% HCFC-142b and 2% lubricant.

• Freeze 12. Supplied by Technical Chemical, this blend contains 80% R-134a and 20% HCFC-142b.
  • FRIGC (FR-12). Made by Intermagnetics General and marketed by Pennzoil, this blend contains 59% R-134a, 39% HCFC-124 and 2% butane.
  • GHG-X4 (Autofrost & McCool Chill-It). This blend is supplied by Peoples Welding Supply and contains 51% R-22, 28.5% HCFC-124, 16.5% HCFC-142b and 4% isobutane (R-600a).
  • GHG-HP. Also supplied by Peoples Welding Supply, this blend contains 65% R-22, 31% HCFC-142b and 4% isobutane (R-600a).

• Hot Shot\Kar Kool. Supplied by ICOR, this blend contains 50% R-22, 39% HCFC-124, 9.5% HCFC-142b and 1.5% isobutane (R-600a).
The suppliers of the alternative blends say their products typically cool better than straight R-134a in systems designed for R-12, and do not require changing the compressor oil or desiccant in some cases. Changing the desiccant to XH-7 is usually recommended if an R-12 system is converted to R-134a. The desiccant should also be replaced if a blend contains R-22 because R-22 is not compatible with XH-5 or XH-7 desiccant. The recommended desiccant in this case would be XH-9.
The suppliers of the alternative blends also insist the fractionation problem is exaggerated and do not foresee any major problems with recovering and recycling their products (recycling blends is currently illegal, but the EPA is reviewing its feasibility).
As it stands right now, recycling and servicing a system filled with an alternative blend is illegal.
Please, the best refrigerant to use is the one it was designed for.
I am a EPA 609 certified MVAC technician.
Please beware of using anything you don't know what it is.

Freeze12 has worked well for me in several different vehicles. Propane? Shucks we carry alcohol, gasoline, and nitrous under great pressure, what's wrong with a little grill gas to keep the inside of the vehicle cool?

If you have the coin I'd get the real r12 if you are on a budget like me I have done well with the freeze12. Your call.

yea ive used freeze 12 in most of my 12 vehicles and it works damn fine for its price. Blend or not it doesnt require messing with the system. just suck it down and charge it up.

i get it from autorefridgerants.com

Where you been hiding Ken? Good to see you on again.;)

Check craigslist and you should find some real R-12 at reasonable prices. If you feel like driving down to Mexico you can still get real R-12 cheap but getting it across the border will be an issue unless it's already been installed. Just after the ban it was one of the most illegally imported substances in the US.:rolleyes:

Craigslist;

Virgin Old Stock R-12 $200
Or Min. 3 Cans for $60 @$20/can.
Was 5 Cases Available, $1000 for all 5, sold 1 so now 4/$775
Great Lot if you have an original pre-1993/94 vehicle that has not been converted to 134A.
Priced less than e-bay individual prices for local sale. Headed to e-bay soon if not sold local.
EPA Section 609 Cerificate Required to Purchase R-12, available through ASE.com as one source.
PRICE FIRM

I am not sure about the certificate. I am going to give it (or sell and he just puts it on my bill) so I think that satisfies the Law.

You can go to ASE and take the test. It's pretty simple Ken. I think it's about $20 for it and there's no time limit that I remember. You can also print out the manual and have it for reference while you take the test since it's a do at home test if I remember right.;)

Glad to see you're up and doing good Ken and I hope things stay that way.:cool:

I use Duracool in the GN which had some R12 in it and only needs a can a year.

It cools as good as R12 and better than 134a which I have in my WE4 I converted.

Yeah it's hydrocarbon based but highly refined propane with a high combustion temp. so you won't blow up real good if any leaks out. :p

Good luck with your choice and health.

The ES-12a as posted prior on this thread is the way to go. No need to flush and change oils. Completely compatible with R12 systems, as-is.

The only item required (by law) is to change to R134 charge ports on the system. Once your R12 system has R134 charge ports, it is not only completely legal...

But cools even better then R12 (BTDT).

RemoveBeforeFlight

Look on craigslist it's fairly easy to find old cans of R12 locally. Lots of guys that kept it thinking they would need it or use it and now its in very low demand. I've found it for as little as 8 bucks per can on craigslist.

The ES12 stuff appears to be similar if not the same as Duracool.
It should also work well and is hydrocarbon based same marketing and info. as Duracool.