Fred Rodgers, companion to the trolley, dead...

yes he will be missed but i have a quetion about him being in the military ive heard he was spec op's in nam is that true

FACTS

No, Fred was an ordained minister from 1963 forward. Like the persistent rumors that Phil Donahue is actually a man, this rumor is also false.

HTH=======================================

Rogers was born in Latrobe, 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. Early in his career, Rogers was an unseen puppeteer in ``The Children's Corner,'' a local show he helped launch at WQED in 1954. In seven years of unscripted, live television, he developed many of the puppets used in his later show, including King Friday XIII and Curious X the Owl.

He was ordained in 1963 with a charge to continue his work with children and families through television. That same year, Rogers accepted an offer to develop ``Misterogers,'' his own 15-minute show, for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

He brought the show back to Pittsburgh in 1966, incorporating segments of the CBC show into a new series distributed by the Eastern Educational Network to cities including Boston, Philadelphia and Washington.

In 1968, ``Mister Rogers' Neighborhood'' began distribution across the country through National Educational Television, which later became the Public Broadcasting Service.

RIP, Fred! :)

How unfortunate that such a positive influence on youth had to succumb to cancer. I used to watch his show everyday when I was a kid.

R.I.P., Fred Rogers.

Steve