Freakin Ebay Feedback

GNSCOTT

open faced club sandwich
I have a feeling i'm about to get slammed with 3 negative feedbacks from the same buyer. If you care, read on.

I sell Hitchcock chairs on Ebay. I put a set of 6 chairs up, someone won them, I shipped them yesterday. The Sunday the auction ended I was going to put up a set of Hitchcock Ladder back chairs because I found a new set of chairs that I wanted to replace the ladder back chairs with (the ladder backs are around my DR table). Come to find out that the ladder back chairs cannot go UPS so I deceide to sell the other set. It is the exact same set as the one I sold this person only in near mint condition. The price reflects this on Ebay , because currently they are going for $300 more than what he paid for the set he won and it ends tomorrow.

He emailed me 3 times today complaing. He said he feels bad because of the way I described these chairs. They got a better description because they are in better condition. He explained to me that he specifically asked about arm chairs. I told him I couldn't break up the set in the first place because the chairs are in 2 different conditions and each set needs a damn arm chair. I waited 2 hrs after the auction ended to put the new one up so it didn't confuse anyone (his high bid was up days before I deceided to sell the 2nd set). I think he expected me to 1. have clearavoiance and know I was going to sell them, and 2. I think he wanted me to tell him to retract his bids on my 1st set, so he could buy the 2nd set. Its used furniture, so I know he can find stuff to bitch about even though I included 6 pictures and informed buyers to email me for additional pics.

My ? is, is there anything I can do if he leaves neg. feedback to get it erased or head him off by informing ebay??

You can leave a response to his negative feedback that appears directly under his negative comment. Just like the negative feedback, space is severely limited so be brief! If you only get those few and you have plenty of other positives I don't think it'll be a big deal. Like you, I'd rather have no negatives but I don't think that's realistic if you sell/buy on eBay for very long.

I think that is your only recourse.

Ebay has a "Mediation" service to attempt to resolve
buyer/seller disputes to help cut down on "Going Nuclear"
through ugly unwarranted FeedBack.

There is a fee involved to use this optional service.

Just be aware the Holy Trinity could not please some of the malicious malcontent mutants out there.

Thanks guys. What buggs me is that they are 3 seperate auctions for 6 chairs and I know he'll slam me for all 3. I just think ebay should investigate the negative feedback somehow. I will pay the extra to fight it, especially if he does it on all 3.

Well, remember too that only 1 of the comments will count in your feedback number. If the % of positives is high enough, no one will care.

I had a guy once that didn't like the material I used to pack a hard drive. He then said it was full of bad sectors. I told him to send it back and I would send another, he then said "Never mind, I am already using it"

Some people are THAT way.....

Buy him off somehow.. Offer a rebate to make him happy.
That way both of you don't leave any feedback for each other PERIOD.
Or you can respond to his feedback.

I have goneout of my way to make the buyer happy in some cases.
I messed up once & put a JAVELIN owners manual on ebay.
I had thought I had 2 of them because I took two photos.

I Emailed the winning buyer & offered him 3 other owners manual
in lieu of the 1 javelin. It worked

Yea, i've done stuff in the past like that. It is deffinately a learning experince. I now know why people won't accept bids by newbees. They would be less inclined to leave negative feedback if they care about their own. I offered to buy the chairs back if he won the current auction (at his expense) because I have someone else who wants them. The other problem is the guy is obviously a foreigner . I can tell by his name and the way his emails read. He emailed me today and he is pissed that I didn't offer him the arm chair out of the other set because he told me he needs mainly arm chairs. The freaking guy thinks i'm gonna break up a set to sell him an arm chair. Hopefully him being this nieve (sp) he won't even figure out how to leave feedback....

I thought there was a way to contact Ebay to fight negative feedback? If you contact them explaining your situation they may work it out between the two of you for free. I have used this free service a time or two because of people selling me stuff that wasn't as described or just didn't send me anything at all after payment was sent. Ebay is helpful, but definitely not perfect. There's just as many bad sellers as there are bad bidders. I've had negative feedback left for me even after paying for something and THEY were the one's who never sent anything. I've even had to pay for a few things more than once just so I wouldn't get bad feedback. The bad thing is that since it is so easy to create a new name and start over that very few new people even care about feedback.

I think he can only leave you negative feedbackon the one auction that he won. For him to leave feedback on all three auctions he would have to be the winning bidder on all three. I might be wrong but someone else will chime in.

Yep, I am also pretty sure you are correct here. A transaction needs to take place before the oppertunity to leave feedback is presented.

Have you left feedback for this seller yet? If not.....
Look at his feedback..........is he going to risk giving you negative feedback, knowing he will receive the same in return? I've never tried it but I am fairly sure it aint easy to reverse posted feedback. Its set up that way.
In the past I have left positive feedback (or none at all) for MANY far less than perfect sellers to avoid receiving negative in return.

The first batch of six chairs was set up as 3 auctions since they ship easily as a pair of chairs.

The guy won 3 auctions for the six chairs and can leave 3 feedbacks if he wants.

I agree retaliatory feedback may persuade him not to do anything rash.

He's a newbee. I think he has 3 feedbacks. I knew it was risky getting paid by newbees, but i never even thought about the feedback part of it. I looked at some other sellers feedback where they say that if you have low feedback you cannot bid, or they must email them first for approval, and found that alot of their negative feedback was from newbees.I will deffinatly leave retalitory negative feedback because I know the REAL reason (if they lkeave it) why they left it.

If anyone wants to see the auctions my name is "HITCHCOCKER" on Ebay.