Frame off build, almost finished

turbofabricator

Here are the pictures of a frame off build we did for Dennis. It is an '87 T-Type that he purchased to replace one of the cars that was burned up in a horrific garage fire that destroyed THREE turbo Regals a few years ago. 6 months after he bought the car he was driving in down town Seattle and was hit head on by an illegal imigrant with no insurance, not I.D., No license, no headlights, no fair! So instead of scrapping a fourth Turbo Buick we decided to rebuild it. The left front was hit pretty hard and bent the front frame horn. So we pulled one of the chassis off of his burned cars and had it media blasted. We then boxed the frame rails, added a couple of extra braces, added new stainless fuel and brake lines, painted it all up and installed tubular control arms and HD steering components. The engine is a stroked 109 block with steel center caps, Ported GN1 heads, 214 hyd. roller, TA headers, Dave Splett 200-4R transmission, billet trans cooler mounted along the frame rail, DW fuel pump, TA rear end girdle, Eaton posi, Moser axles, HR parts rear sway bar, and a host of other nice parts and alot of custom made parts and pieces. This has been a two year project that has been slowed by numerous set backs that we all have to deal with. There is a Dakota digital dash coming, soon. And a host of other tweaks that need help with.
The car is not a race car. It was built to be a nice driving street car that is capable of mid 10 second passes. No roll bar will be installed so it is limitd to mis 11 second passes until he decides to make a Hail Mary pass and get kicked out. He already has a 10 flat T-Type, so he doesn't want a roll bar in his "street car".

Attachments

• old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 296.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 296.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 459
  • old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 441.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 441.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 514
  • old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 486.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 486.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 500
  • old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 444.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 444.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 447
More pictures:

Attachments

• old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 459.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 459.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 378
  • old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 448.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 448.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 346
  • old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 479.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 479.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 349
  • old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 073.jpg
    old phone pictures prior to 04-2012 073.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 350
Found some more...

Attachments

• new phone 6-24-2012 014.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 014.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 317
  • new phone 6-24-2012 014.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 014.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 297
  • new phone 6-24-2012 012.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 012.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 307
  • new phone 6-24-2012 030.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 030.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 319
  • new phone 6-24-2012 020.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 020.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 310
  • new phone 6-24-2012 029.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 029.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 311
  • new phone 6-24-2012 081.jpg
    new phone 6-24-2012 081.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 299
Nice Ken Send me a PM and I can give yo a few ideas to go with the frame off. Just about done with my frame as well.;)

Thansk Charlie, Bob. It does have a Bob Bailey two step, too. (even though it isn't a "race car")

Charlie, its up and running right now only need to do a few odds and ends to make it race ready. Post your idea's though. Might help everyone. Even if it's a critique. I'm not perfect and always open to ideas.

Thanks Charlie.
Charlie, its up and running right now only need to do a few odds and ends to make it race ready. Post your idea's though. Might help everyone. Even if it's a critique. I'm not perfect and always open to ideas.
Not about to post it Ken because it would piss a bunch of guys off to say the least.:D Very few know about the mod so far and it's not going on the web for that reason.;) Out of all my friends on the guys on here maybe 30 know about it now. One of them had a cow with what I did and realized what it will do to the chasis. Like I said, PM me and I can send you the info and some pics in PM's.:cool:

Did you do your fuel line mods to these lines?

I used 3/8" stainless tubing for the feed and 5/16" stainless return line. The return line at the frame has been modified to eliminate the tiny Saginaw fitting between the engine line and the frame. The feed line is still a Saginaw fitting but is crimped by myself and has a larger I.D. This car will never need anything more than a stock feed/return anyway. But there is enough flow capability to run deep in the 9's.

Charlie, PM me for my number and we can talk about this secret squirrel stuff. Love to hear about it.:)

NICE !!! Wish I still had the time to do stuff like that !!! hmmmm.. Never mind I'd drag it out there an let you do it :p

Very nice. I like the frame mods. The "secret squirrel stuff" sounds like it would be promising to thoses of us who are not really concerned about keeping it all stock, but about getting performance gains. Now if I could just find the time and patience needed.

So after a PM from Charlie, the Secret Squirrel stuff consits of some guy named Rocky and his buddy Bullwinkle. I think that's secret code for something that I can't divulge in. Let's just say it involves a welder, plasma cutter, drill, grinder, welding rod, common sense, ambition, and a liver from a newt.:p

Nice Job Ken! . . . . . One thing about you . . . you always do things first class! :cool:
That in itself is a lost art!

Nice Job Ken! . . . . . One thing about you . . . you always do things first class! :cool:
That in itself is a lost art!

As I like to say........... "I've upped my standards, so UP YOURS!!!!":D I don't remember where I heard that, but I'm claiming it as my own.

Thanks Jerryl. If you ever need anything modded, let me know. I'll try and keep it first class for you.

Grumpy......Drop it off. I'll have it finished for you in about three years. Just wish I had more time and room to do things. Kinda like to work on MY stuff for once, though. My newest project is helping my son build a '94 RX-7 (right hand drive) with a 76mm turbo on a 5.3 LSX engine, Tremec 6spd, Cobra diff., lots of tubing bent all up on the inside (cage). Glad he's buying parts and not me.:eek: Oh, and he wants to road race it SCCA. Gotta learn a few things about chassis design for that, though. Anyone have an SCCA rule book they can loan me? (God, I hope there ain't no BIG words in that book.......):confused:

As I like to say........... "I've upped my standards, so UP YOURS!!!!":D I don't remember where I heard that, but I'm claiming it as my own.

Thanks Jerryl. If you ever need anything modded, let me know. I'll try and keep it first class for you.
My newest project is helping my son build a '94 RX-7 (right hand drive) . . . . Oh, and he wants to road race it SCCA. . . . .
Ken,
Don’t want to take away from the thread, but talked about SCCA last weekend with al old college buddy.
We did a lot of projects back in the day . . . . Now, he is a suspension guy . . . told me he pulls 1.3G’s with an MR2, no sway bars!

Back to your handy work . . . . NICE!!

You might check out ENGforums Ken. Tons of suspension info on it and I think it will be right up your alley.;)