Found rod bearing sitting in the oil pan.

TTA197

Has anyone here ever found a rod bearing sitting in the oil pan? This what I found when I removed my oil pan to replace the rear main seal on my TTA. Now here's where it gets confusing. I removed all of the connecting rod caps to see which one was missing the bearing and all of them were in place and spotless. I didn't have any engine noise at all and everthing inside the engine is undamaged and clean.

This bearing I found is a little bent and has several deep scars. I compared it to the bearings on the connecting rods and it's identical in size, but I can't figure out where it came from.
I would appreciate anyone's input on this and I'll post this thread in the TA tech section also. Thanks, Nicholas.

Originally posted by TTA197
Has anyone here ever found a rod bearing sitting in the oil pan? This what I found when I removed my oil pan to replace the rear main seal on my TTA. Now here's where it gets confusing. I removed all of the connecting rod caps to see which one was missing the bearing and all of them were in place and spotless. I didn't have any engine noise at all and everthing inside the engine is undamaged and clean.

This bearing I found is a little bent and has several deep scars. I compared it to the bearings on the connecting rods and it's identical in size, but I can't figure out where it came from.
I would appreciate anyone's input on this and I'll post this thread in the TA tech section also. Thanks, Nicholas.

My guess is was an EXTRA that it got put in there by mistake during original assembly and has just been thrashing aroung in there.

If now damage is found, Breathe a sigh of relief. BUT does make good conversation piece!

Seen that before, the engine was being put together and the assembly person just dropped it , grabbed another one and put it together :) Probably couldn't find it before being buttoned up ..

Yup, just an "extra" bearing. Your motor would not have run too long with a rod bearing missing. No way that one can just come out once assembled anyway. Luckily it didn't cause any damage.