Found coolant in oil, and on bottom of intake...

cabech984

I have been doing some upgrades to my Turbo 3.8L Firebird(Buick Headed 109 Block) and changed the oil today. The car has sat since June 1st in my garage. Well anyways, I pulled the drain plug and about 1/4 cup of green coolant came out before the oil. No chocolate milk mix though.

As a result, I pulled the valve covers and intake to find coolant condensation on the tops of the valve covers and inside the valley on the top of the intake. I didnt notice any coolant mix the last time I changed the oil but have noticed a smidge of coolant loss(which I thought was due to leaking thermostat housing.

Would it be wise to replace my felpro stocker head gaskets with a better gasket? Its a .030" 109 block. I didnt notice any unusual damage to the intake gasket though and have little to no smoke thru the exhaust pipe during acceleration or startup. ANy advice would be nice!!!

Thanks for the help! I think Ill start at the retorquing heads part since Ive already got the Valve covers off. Im putting a new intake gasket on it as well. Ive done numerous pressure checks and never lost over 1lb of pressure over 45 minute periods even when the thermostat housing was leaking.

But Ill do the sealing tabs, intake gasket, and check again. I may take check the intake for good sealing surfaces. I love being a mechanic lol, just look for second opinions on these turbo buicks:)

Id do a leak down test or at least fill the cylinders with compressed air to see if its a head gasket or something else. Id be pulling the heads for piece of mind myself. Run plain water an anti corrosive and no antifreeze/coolant till you figure it out.

I actually have it torn all the way down, all I have to remove to pull the heads are the accessories attached to the drivers side head. I may pull them, and put a fresh set of head gaskets to be safe!

What head gaskets should I go with on a .030" overbore, 109 block with stock heads? Also, both head and block mating surfaces have been slightly milled, enough to get them flat!

I actually have it torn all the way down, all I have to remove to pull the heads are the accessories attached to the drivers side head. I may pull them, and put a fresh set of head gaskets to be safe!

What head gaskets should I go with on a .030" overbore, 109 block with stock heads? Also, both head and block mating surfaces have been slightly milled, enough to get them flat!

Ive been using RJC with good luck

I have always preferred Victor Rienze gaskets.

Well, I removed my passenger side today, the head gasket was in like new condition. I wrote the part number down off the head gasket I had on there(felpro 8723PTI) and I guess its made for NA applications?? Ive got barely 5000 miles on this .030" 109 Block so everything looks great on visual inspection. I think my minimal sealing job on the head bolts contributed to some of the coolant in the oil pan.

What gasket should I get for a .030" engine with no O-ringing done to the block? Victor Reinze, felpro? Im looking for a pretty simple one to install like the stockers!!

thats funny because i just done a head gasket job, after that i drove the car around a few times everything looked ok until last weekend i drain the oil and looked a little milky, i'm in the propose of retorque heads hopefully that does the job would hate to take it apart again keeping finger crossed.

WENT FROM SCE COPPER TO RJC HEAD GASKETS.

Well, I ordered some 9441 head gaskets, NGK UR5 Plugs, as well as some Felpro rubber valve cover gaskets and intake gaskets. I had the Felpro N/A head gaskets on it, didnt know it when I installed them though. You learn something new everyday!!! They were in great shape though upon removal.

Hopefully I can get this pig running by the end of the drag season lol