Found a LeSabre Grand National BUT...

Turbo1dr

9 Sec Wanna-Be
How can I be absolutely sure a 86 LeSabre GN is authentic instead of a clone? I know about the red 6 GN emblem and the quarter glass shade but what else? VIN#??????

kirban 2 cents worth

I have owned 2 of these cars not likely something that would be cloned the vents over the quarter glass is quite rare. Pretty sure on the trunk ID label it would read WE2 just like in a regal GN trunk label.

They are just a nice comfortable car with a 3.8 engine nothing really special. One sure thing though when you go out at nite to the movies you don;t have to worry about it being stolen....one reason we liked ours....having had our vette stolen.

they made 117 of them....

mostly went to the south eastern part of the USA Florida-Georgia area originally.

I sold ours which was restore in mint condition for 10 grand years ago and the other one I sold for aorund $3500 or so.

Front wheel drive cars....it would have been nice with the turbo format.

Car did get some of the ugliest Buick rims they have made.

kirban

only had 2 of LeSabre version but quite a huge number of the rear wheel drive 1986-1987 GN Turbo versions...

Wow ten grand for a mint example...I guess that just shows you that ultra rare doesn't always guarantee a huge pile of cash...btw Kirban do you stand by that 117 or is it the 112?...I still have yet to see something that says definitely the one production number and not the other :confused: thanks for the answer on what yours sold for though! :cool:

kirban 2 cents worth

Both 112 and 117 numbers have been tossed around and since neither me, nor you nor anyone reading this was around counting them as they came down the assembly line....I honestly don't know...either points to a rare car after you add 22 plus years to it.

Very few seem to be around in mint condition probably because they were not considered anything special at the time they were produced pus the fact since most if not all went to the southeast part of the country many future collectors were not aware of them nor ever saw them.

on another note the guy in texas thought bought mine for 10 grand sold it late for 17 grand....

I had installed the LeSabre T-Type full analog dash in mine....really looked nice... not sure if it was worthy of 17 grand but definately stood out in the pack.

we had fun with it as kids thought I stuck GN emblems on the fenders...laughed at the car not realizing that I had turbo ones at home...or who I was....

kirban

Lol...can't really blame them for not knowing what it was since even a lot of TB owners don't even know about them...kids must of thought you were just another ricer :rolleyes: ...thanks for your input and stories :D

Here it is...the guy replaced the dash for a later "gauges" unit, pulled the bench seat out and installed buckets and console. Replaced the column shift steering column with a non column shift. ALso installed later wheels on it.

I'm not sure what he wants for the car but he stated "Best offer will get it" in the ad. He also said $700 won't get the car but $10,000 will.:eek: Nice to know the price range...

lesabreGN.jpg

there was a red one sitting in a backyard a few blocks away from me. It really wasn't in too bad of shape but had a lot of miles. Could have picked it up for 800 bucks.

Here it is...the guy replaced the dash for a later "gauges" unit, pulled the bench seat out and installed buckets and console. Replaced the column shift steering column with a non column shift. ALso installed later wheels on it.

I'm not sure what he wants for the car but he stated "Best offer will get it" in the ad. He also said $700 won't get the car but $10,000 will.:eek: Nice to know the price range...

lesabreGN.jpg
Hello,
Assuming this car started life as a LGN, it looks like this or a previous owner may have had access to a 1987-89 LeSabre T-Type and swapped the instrument cluster, console, interior, wheels and etc from the T-Type to this car. Front bumper or the entire facia may have been swapped too as the front bumper appears to be painted black. Although reversable, none of those swaps will add to the future value of this car. Was anything else swapped (motor, trans & etc) and do you have a VIN number or pic of the SPI tag?

Thanks - Peter

$2500 takes it. Needs to be restored. No other pictures available. I told him I'd give $1500 but that depends on what I see once I do go see it in person. He was thinking that he was going to get at least $6000 for it since it's a rare car.

He says the car looks like a 87 and later LeSabre T-Type including the headlights, header panel, wheels, bucket seats, center console with shifter, gauges with tach and the steering column. All of this has been swapped from a later T-Type to this car. Yes, the engine and transmission has also been replaced but he still has the original. All in all, it appears to be a late(er) model T-Type however he insists that this is a genuine LeSabre GN. The guy knows what he's talking about when he was telling me what was swapped out so I do think this is a real one.

He said "not too bad" but his "not too bad" might be a lot different than mine. The window wants to come off the rear regulator on the drivers side.

Rare car indeed, but not too many people know about it to warrant such a high asking price.

It looks like he went through a lot of trouble making an '86 GN look like a '87-'89 T-Type.:eek: