found 87 gn

supercoupe5

dont know where else to put this so i am going to thorugh it in here. i seen a 87 gn sitting in a fenced lot about 2 weeks ago and did not give it a second thought. well today i was bored and decided to call the place it was at (it is a body shop and one of the employees owns it). the guy told me it has a chip and a cai on it at that is all. it has never been wrecked and has not got any rust on it. he was storing it at work because of lack of room at home. i asked him if it was for sale, and he told me that he would sell it for the right price. well i figured hold onto your a$$ after he told me it had 38k-39k on it original. well i asked him what he wanted for it and he told me he would take no less than $10,000 for it. well i am going to look at it in a couple of hours and will take some pics of it and post them on here. i know it is a great price for such a car. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR WHILE I AM THERE. i will also get the vin and see if someone can do a car-fax for me also. let me know what you think. thanks dave

Check underneath for rust. Check engine compartment, rust, mods, etc. Condition of interior, mods. Take a lot of good, clear pictures of engine compartment, interior, under carrage, and post them. Check for body damage, fiiler, etc. Check vin#, transmission code "BRF", 8 1/2" rear.

Make sure the car has a clean title. Get a carfax report. Ask if there are service records available. Sounds like a great deal though. Also ask to see the title, sometimes previous owner(s) addresses are on it and you can get that info and get their phone number and ask about the car. Get as much info as possible. Once the car is confirmed legitimate i would be ready with the cash as if word gets out he will get higher offers. You still may want to offer him less than $10,000. People usually expect to get beat up a little, so there is usually some room for negotiation. No need to pay more than you have to even if its already a smoking deal. The key is to have the cash on hand. Once its viewed by the seller it is very hard for them to say no unless they buy and sell cars for profit.

well it is not all that he made it out to be, but it is very workable i think. what do all of you think. it has had the trunk lock punched and someone has stolen the radio. other than that it is all there and complete. the guy told me it has a clear title and there is no problems with it, but he has it for sale. i seen no rust under it or on the door bottoms. dave

GrandNational002Large.jpg

GrandNational001Large.jpg

GrandNational003Large.jpg

GrandNational013Large.jpg

the car started right up and idled smooth and nice. the guy does have the original wheels but someone stole the center caps off of it. i asked him a lot of questions and now i cant remember everything (go figure). good deal? buy or run. the vin number on the options sticker and the tag in the window do match also. thanks again dave

Looks better than my car and I wouldn't take less than ten for mine. Mine's not a GN or a T either, just an old mutt transplant car. Good Luck!

I dunno...how did the pedals and carpet look? I am wondering if the 37k is correct or if it is 137K...

To me it looks more like a $7K-$8K car than a 10K, but it also looks like you are sort of in a rust belt area, so no rust is a huge plus for you. Don't believe the KBB value on these car. :cool: That car is not bone stock, it has several mods under the hood, I am doubting it was only driven 37K.

10K for an old mutt transplant car...it must be damn nice. :cool:

Good luck dude, let us know how it goes!

The car apears to be a TYYPE converted into a GN clone. Where are the GN emblems on the body? I recommend you find a member in your area who has a scan tool and test the car and see what is going on with the engine. I smell a 136,000 mile car. Get the car on a lift and inspect the entire undercarrage. Just an idea. Brad

you say there are quite a few mods under the hood. could you tell me what they are as i have no idea because i dont know what i am looking at or for. thanks dave

Dave,
Here is some info. :biggrin:
The Turbo Regal Buyer's Guide
Good luck! :cool:

Read the page at the link above....As you read, pay particular attention to how it should DRIVE. Be sure to drive it before you make up your mind ;)

Better get a carfax on this one, it may answer the question of 37k or 137k....

It will be for sale next week, don't rush. If you miss this one, another will come along.

:)

Looks like a deal if it is indeed a real GN

I would snag it in a hartbeat. The Vin should tell the story and also did it have any flood damage. That is always a big concern. Check the bottom of the Doors and the hinge area, these areas are prone for rust. Also the trunk lid where the water goes down to drain.
Like I say it looks like a winner, but as previously stated is it 37 k or 137 the car fax should be the answer. Actually the engine firewall looks better than mine and I got mine from Texas for 14k with 78k orig miles, but it is a mid 11 sec. car and even if it were bone stock, I still would have paid that, I have always loved GN's and you never see them out here. I have seen a total of 2 on the road this year, and before that. NONE. :eek:

Also I know a couple of guys out here, that do not like emblems on there car after repainting it and did not put the badges back, it is a red flag but doesnt mean it is not real. .

sure looks legit under the hood, If the stock wheels are decent and there is no rust(especially under the Ttops) id be all over it for 10k.
It's a sin to park it on the grass like that, brake lines wont last long.

Its a real Gn, correct me if im wrong but isnt that what the we2 means on the tag, clearly it was just a debadge. for 10k id probably pick it up. If you want to go take another look at it id be willing to go check it out with you

I don't always trust carfax for a few reasons. If the damage was never reported to an insurance company then it won't show. If the car didn't have many owners you won't see much mileage traffic. Do you have anything before the 33K in 2006? I say this because my car has a clean carfax, but I know from previous owners now that it had a telephone pole dropped on it, roof and whole front end replaced, it was apparently stripped and recovered, and also rear-ended and repaired.

Looks like maybe an aftermarket air filter, is the piece behind the alternator stock? Possibly a voltage booster thing, but have never seen one in person. There is also some solenoid by the batt, maybe for a stereo? Is there an exhaust or anything on the car?

WE2 is the code for a GN, it is on the trunk lid, so that is legit at least. Since the badges are missing you have to wonder if it has been repainted? You can decode all the options and make sure it matches. You do have the fan routing sticker under the hood, that is a plus, it is almost NEVER replaced in a front end collision. (How do I know? mine is missing LOL!)

I bought my car last year for $5K. It had some issues, and a little rust. I didn't find out about the repairs until after I bought it.

Like others have said on here, it has been sitting a long time, he is not actively trying to sell it. Most people I have talked to don't want T-top cars. They are a very hard sell in Hawaii. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, decode all the options and make sure it jives before paying $10K. Just my .2, and I am a nebie on these cars. Listen to the old timers before me. :p

Id still the car fax and look at the spread between emissions tests. If you can verify the mileage id buy it in a second for $10k. If it had 137k on it it would have some tell signs if parts were not replaced. Do the upper control arm bushings look look they have ever been replaced? If not and they arent shot (especially the right side) then i would believe the mileage more. What the carpet and driver seat bottom cushion condition? Look at the blackout paint on the taillights. If the inside corners are worn from a gas nozzle handle coming in contact with it 500 times then i would not believe the mileage. This is one area that always shows consistent wear unless the taillights have been replaced. Id expect to see the paint worn off the corners of the blackout at 137k. I would not expect this at 37k.

The carfax only goes back to 7/11/2000, 1/2/2003, 3/30/2004, 3/7/2006, 3/16/2006. All dates just say title or registration issued new owner reported (3) or updated when owner moved car to new location (2). I'm just trying to help supercoupe5 out.