FM Turbo

HOTSIX

Ran outta hand cleaner
So I've obviously had some time to think about my Buick and I'm wondering how hard it would be to mount the turbo in the 87 location?

I have pretty much everything else done ......and I'm using an IC kit with the turbo mounted in the stock location. The piping runs fwd to the stock style IC then I have a slightly modded doghouse/87 intake where the cooled charge enters.

Prob is - the stock location is a PITA to access the turbo and you are limited on turbo size in that rear location....so why not mount it up front 87 style?

All I'd need is what....run an oil line to and from it.....87 headers, x-over pipe and run the vac line to the actuator right??? Then TH DP could bolt on there and away I go.

Anyone tried this?

I have no A/C so no compressor in the way....question is would any part of the turbo interfere with the engine accessories?

Hmm. I don't see why it isn't possible. It would certainly give us many more options as for turbo size. But, if I were to go this route, I would just buy a nice 87 Motor off of someone, and plumb it right to the intake. Get rid of the pesky Intercooler. That would be the easiest way I think.

You would have to get the accessory brakets for the 86-87 set up first of all and relocate everything.

Ken Duttweiler did this with Marka Gallina's car. It had 87 headers and a pipe that lead back to the stock hot air turbo location. I could assume that you could 87 headers and a 87 turbo. This would allow the turbo to be moved to the front like on the twin turbo Pace Car Riviera. The AC unit would have to be moved or deleted. This would be very interesting.

Hmmm

Charlief1 - I missed thinking about the alternator. Its on the opposite side as our 85's. Guess thats why I need the accessory bracket huh..... Question is can you still use an 85 Alt with the 87 bracket....ahh heres where the small problems begin....would the accessory bracket bolt up to to the 85 block even?

I would wanna do this mainly because I hate the 85 turbo location!!!

The accy bracket will bolt up to the HA block, but the HA alt will not bolt on to the 87 accy bracket. (at least, I am 95% sure) Seems like a cool project, but would also end up being about 80% of an IC'ed setup if you keep having to change parts.

-Alt needs relocated, so you have to use the IC'ed bracket and alt.
-Now you need to either swap pulley on alt to work with rest, or use all 87 pulleys, etc.
-Swap to IC'ed headers and xover to move turbo forward.
-Swap to IC'ed turbo

Depending on your intake (inlet on back like stock, or modded to run in 87 location), it seems like you would swap to a complete IC'ed setup, but run the outlet of turbo to inlet of the throttle body without the IC, right?

EDIT: Not dogging your idea at all, love the idea, just thinking out loud as to where you would be in between HA and IC by the end of this deal.

Here's the thing.....

I already have an IC setup - I bought the Turbomotion setup way back when.

I currently have a stock location turbo with an 87 intake and doghouse (modded slightly to allow turbo to fit). My piping runs from turbo outlet then fwd to my IC then into TB and of course into doghouse.

I'm not seriously (well at least not yet anyway) considering doing this yet but am just thinking aloud. Your absolutely right - its a huge undertaking really...

I figure basically i'd need 87 alt bracket, 87 alt, 87 x over and headers plus then a DP. Then figure out where to plumb the oil return line to from the turbo....

...and thats only just getting started before you get your hands dirty. I'd imagine there's a ton more you'd run into that wud snag ya..

The project cost is somewhere near 1,600+ bones i'd say - unless you bought used headers, x over and DP for it - the new stuff's pricey. I'm talking new x-over, headers and DP, plus an 87 alt and alt bracket.

My TA33 still flows a ton of air now and the response is great (the alky helps too). I'm thinking upgrade in the turbo dept this year and wud have to convert it over to front mount to allow for a housing size increase. I've gone as big as I can in the stock location.

CWMCRAY -I sent ya a PM to see if maybe you can post a pic of my setup that I cant for the life of me find!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You posted it on another thread last year - hope ya still have it!

Oil return line is actually easy. Take the fuel pump cover off and tap it. Run the line from the turbo to the feul pump block off.

You would have to get the accessory brakets for the 86-87 set up first of all and relocate everything.

Charlie,
Are you sure the turbo will not fit with some minor bracket modification for the alternator?
I wanted to try this mock-up but did not have 87 headers available.
PLUS, I have no desire to go fast with the 87 parts. :biggrin:

There was a set-up posted a while back and I can not locate the thread.
The turbo was located at the up-pipe and IMHO, THAT is the set-up as it will clear the alternator.

Charlie,
Are you sure the turbo will not fit with some minor bracket modification for the alternator?
I wanted to try this mock-up but did not have 87 headers available.
PLUS, I have no desire to go fast with the 87 parts. :biggrin:

There was a set-up posted a while back and I can not locate the thread.
The turbo was located at the up-pipe and IMHO, THAT is the set-up as it will clear the alternator.

The problem isn't whether it would fit or not Jerryl. It's the support for the turbo and the alternator. I've got a broken bracket here and it ain't pretty. It may work but there's a slight bend bringing it more toward the engines center. You'd have a lot of hacking to make it work and Aj used them on his bastard child, but he did have to change over to the 86-87 brackets to make it work right.

The problem isn't whether it would fit or not Jerryl. It's the support for the turbo and the alternator. I've got a broken bracket here and it ain't pretty. It may work but there's a slight bend bringing it more toward the engines center. You'd have a lot of hacking to make it work and Aj used them on his bastard child, but he did have to change over to the 86-87 brackets to make it work right.

Charlie,
You are one of the few people who's input I pay attention to.
If you say it is a problem, I believe it. :cool: Thanks for the feedback!

Charlie,
You are one of the few people who's input I pay attention to.
If you say it is a problem, I believe it. :cool: Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Jerryl.:redface: LOL If I could get the later headers to work I would but it really is a fitment issue.