Flush GN Gas Tank

Chris McDade

I bought a T-type for my son that's been sitting for 5 + years. I pull the tank and drained the fuel out of it. Is there anything I can use to flush the tank with to make sure I get all the nasty stuff out?

If it's really gunky, take it to a radiator shop and have them tank it. If it's not gunky, put it back on and fill it with fresh gasoline and a bit Marvel Mystery Oil and put a fresh filter on it. Run a few tanks through it and change the filter.

Kerosene is a great solvent but it's almost $5 a gallon at the pump. I used it to remove the undercoating from my tank on the outside coincidentally. It worked great. You can pour it in and slosh it around over several days. The drain it out and dry with compressed air. I painted my tank with some Rustoleum metalflake hammertone stuff. It looks good.

Thanks for the info. I took the rubber straps off to look under them and found rust and a hole in the tank. Im either going to patch this one or buy new......Who has the best deal on tanks?

It may not matter on a 12 second or slower car but almost all the aftermarket tanks only have a dog dish for the pump to sit in with no other baffling which can create issues under a hard launch or corner.

What JDS posted, repair the OEM tank. There is a picture on here of a stock turbo tank with the top cut off. Lots of baffling.

A good epoxy is one way to fix it.

RemoveBeforeFlight